History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Botolph House

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Claydon, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9172 / 51°55'1"N

Longitude: -0.9339 / 0°56'2"W

OS Eastings: 473419

OS Northings: 224828

OS Grid: SP734248

Mapcode National: GBR C02.QPW

Mapcode Global: VHDTP.R2MM

Entry Name: Botolph House

Listing Date: 19 August 1959

Last Amended: 17 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396645

Location: East Claydon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: East Claydon

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: The Claydons

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Middle Claydon

Listing Text

SP 72 SW EAST CLAYDON BOTYL ROAD
(west side)
BOTOLPH CLAYDON

5/11 Botolph House

19.8.59

GV II*

House. Circa 1712. E. front is of red header brick with gauged
brick heads to windows, ashlar plinth and moulded wooden modillion
cornice to eaves and pediment. N. and S, sides are of vitreous
headers with red brick quoins and window surrounds, and moulded
brick plinth. Rear is of chequer brick. Eaves cornice carried
all the way round. Hipped tile roof, brick chimneys. Double
pile plan. 2 storeys, basement and attic, 5 bays. E. front:
3 centre bays form slight projection with pediment. Basement has
irregular barred wooden casements. Main floors have 3-pane sash
windows, those to outer bays of ground floor with moulded brick
edgings, those flanking door with shaped heads. Central first floor
window has moulded stone surround with splayed architrave and
balustraded apron. Stone porch below has attached Ionic columns and
restored entablature with pulvinated frieze. Wooden inner doorcase
has rusticated piers and panelled reveals, arched over 9-panelled
door with semi-circular radiating fanlight. Oval window in pediment
with moulded stone surround and radiating glazing bars. N. and S.
sides of 3 bays each have similar sash windows but with some blind
window panels, and 2 hipped dormers with moulded cornices and paired
barred casements. Rear has sashes to first floor and 2 Serlian
windows to ground floor. Pedimented dormer with barred thermal
window. Small single storey C20 extensions to left and centre.
Interior: central entrance hall has 3 bays of quadripartite vaulting,
moulded cornice and 2 doors with architrave surrounds and pulvinated
friezes. Serlian arch with Doric columns to C18 staircase with turned
balusters and moulded handrail. N.E. ground floor room has fine C18
carved wooden doorcase and fireplace surround, both with panelled
pilasters, ornate bracketed cornices and friezes of swags and scrolled
rococo decoration. S.E. room has arched china cupboard with shaped
shelves and fluted architrave surround.


Listing NGR: SP7341924828

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.