This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7806 / 51°46'50"N
Longitude: -1.4857 / 1°29'8"W
OS Eastings: 435579
OS Northings: 209233
OS Grid: SP355092
Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.979
Mapcode Global: VHC02.6HGT
Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 14 May 1952
Last Amended: 3 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212211
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252622
Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Witney
Built-Up Area: Witney
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Witney
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SP3509S (South side)
11/79 The Old Rectory and attached
(Formerly listed as The Rectory)
Rectory, now schoolbuilding of Henry Box School (q.v.). 1723, for Reverend
Robert Friend. Ashlar front; hipped stone slate roof; stone ashlar ridge stacks.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range.
Segmental-arched and raised architraves to early C18 eight-panelled door with
overlight, mid C19 two-pane sashes and horned mid C19 first-floor 4-pane sashes.
Arms of Jonathon Trelawney, Bishop of Winchester (1702-21), carved above door.
Raised pilaster strips; storey band; 5 flat-relief aprons below moulded parapet.
3 gabled roof dormers with mid/late C19 casements. Rear: similar elevation with
semi-circular arched stair-light. Left side wall has 2 square bay windows with
moulded cornices and mid C19 tripartite sashes; of 4-window range, with similar
segmental-arched architraves to first-floor horned sashes. Right side wall has
similar architraves. Mid C18 flat-roofed coach-house to right has keyed
segmental arch over 6-pane sash with thick glazing bars, above blocked
segmental-arched entry. Interior: early C18 panelled doors. Fine panelled room
to left; dentilled cornice to right. Hall has semi-circular-arched doorway with
fluted pilasters and fanlight to rear stair-light which has early C19 plaster
medallion depicting harpist. Fine dog-leg with landing stairs has panelled dado
with fluted pilasters, scrolled brackets, 3 turned balusters to each tread and
moulded handrail with wreathed end. First floor: room to right has panelled dado
and early C18 fireplace with stone surround; room to rear right has quarter-turn
service stairs with turned balusters on closed string; room to rear left has
fielded panelling and fine fireplace with eared architrave and medallions to
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.847; National Monuments Record)
Listing NGR: SP3558009236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings