This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4688 / 52°28'7"N
Longitude: -1.9234 / 1°55'24"W
OS Eastings: 405300
OS Northings: 285653
OS Grid: SP053856
Mapcode National: GBR 5VD.6W
Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.M61R
Entry Name: 18 and 19, Highfield Road B15
Listing Date: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217282
Location: Birmingham, B15
Metropolitan District Ward: Edgbaston
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St George with St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Nos 18 and 19
SP 0585 NW 39/23
Circa 1840 pair of symmetrical classical stucco villas. Two storey 3 bay fronts
narrowly detached with short screen wall link. Each front has giant "primitive"
Tuscan quoin pilasters and shallow centre break, the frieze in the same plane with
cornice capping. Plinth as first floor sill course to flanking bays. Set back
slate roofs with altered dormers. Linked stucco chimney stacks on gable ends.
Tripartite ground floor windows rise from plinth with small console heads to
mullions and elongated consoles carrying cornice and blocking course above rosette
studded frieze. Eared architrave surrounds to first floor glazing bar sashes.
No 18 has had right hand ground floor window replaced circa 1880-90 by "Flemish"
pilastered rectangular bay window, the structure carved over centre as porch with
symmetrical pediment, dentil cornice and blocking course with shaped dies. The
original doorcase with panelled reveals and rectangular marginal and diamond
glazed fanlight is still in situ. No 19 retains Tuscan column porch with deep
entablature and same doorway. No 18 has parapetted coach house with segmental arch
connected by 2 storey link to the house. No 19 has similar link but the coach house
Listing NGR: SP0530085653
Other nearby listed buildings