History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Masonic Hall and Attached Outbuilding and Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Witney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7823 / 51°46'56"N

Longitude: -1.4858 / 1°29'8"W

OS Eastings: 435569

OS Northings: 209422

OS Grid: SP355094

Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.95L

Mapcode Global: VHC02.6GCH

Entry Name: Masonic Hall and Attached Outbuilding and Wall

Listing Date: 14 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252626

Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Witney

Built-Up Area: Witney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Witney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SP3509S (West side)
11/32 No.20 (Masonic Hall), and
14/05/52 attached outbuilding and wall
GV II

House, c.1760. Coursed limestone rubble with raised ashlar quoins; gabled roof:
rendered end stacks. Central-staircase plan. 2 storeys; symmetrical 5-window
range. Venetian window with sashes above Venetian doorway with C20 door and
decorative fanlight. Timber lintels above 6-pane sashes. Moulded cornice beneath
parapet. Interior: C18 panelled doors. Room to right has mid C18 panelling and
fireplace with moulded architrave. Fine panelled room to left has fretted dado
rail, modillioned cornice and fireplace with eared architrave and pulvinated
frieze. Reset mid C18 dog-leg with landing staircase to rear, with turned
balusters set on closed string. Subsidiary features: C20 rear extension attached
to aarly/mid C18 building of similar materials with carriage entry to left;
5-bay collar-truss roof with butt purlins. Tall limestone rubble, stone-coped
wall extends approximately 30 metres to rear.


Listing NGR: SP3556909422

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.