History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Henry Box School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Witney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7813 / 51°46'52"N

Longitude: -1.4878 / 1°29'16"W

OS Eastings: 435428

OS Northings: 209308

OS Grid: SP354093

Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.8N6

Mapcode Global: VHC02.5H99

Entry Name: Henry Box School

Listing Date: 14 May 1952

Last Amended: 3 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212271

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252630

Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Witney

Built-Up Area: Witney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Witney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SP3509S (West side)
11/36 Henry Box School
14/05/52 (Formerly listed as The Grammar
School with gateposts and wall
leading to the School)

GV II*

School. Datestone "Henri Box, A.D.l660". Roughcast over limestone rabble, with
chamfered plinth and ashlar quoins and dressings; hipped Welsh slate roof;
ashlar ridge stacks, with 3 diamond-set flues to each stack of centre range and
6 similar stacks to side-wing stacks. U-plan with front wings. 2 storeys and
attic; symmetrical 6-window range of 1:4:1 fenestration. 2-light stone-mullioned
cellar windows. Central panelled double-leaf doors set in chamfered stone
architrave. String course continued as hood moulds over 4 chamfered
stone-mullioned and transomed cross windows, each with lunette in head. String
course continued to 2-storey gable ends of side wings, each with cross windows.
Gabled roof dormer with leaded casements. Inner side of side wings have
2-panelled doors set in chamfered architraves, chamfered transomed lights, and a
cross window to right. Outer side walls have similar cross windows. Rear: 3
cross windows, chamfered stone light, C20 door set in stop-chamfered stone
architrave and 4 cross windows each with lunette in head. Interior; central
schoolroom; coved cornice; end walls each have chamfered stone fireplace and C18
semi-circular arched door with fluted pilasters and moulded capitals: left end
wall has fluted pilasters to gallery with mid C17 moulded handrail to
balustrade. Side wings have stop-chamfered beans, quarter -turn stairs with
turned balusters at attic level and C17 ribbed doors in attic. Collar-truss roof
with butt purlins.
(Mary A. Fleming, Witney Grammar School, l660-l960, 1960); Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire, p.846; J.A. Gotch, The English Home, 1918, fig.70; National
Monuments Record).


Listing NGR: SP3542809308

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.