History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Granborough, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9182 / 51°55'5"N

Longitude: -0.885 / 0°53'6"W

OS Eastings: 476780

OS Northings: 225000

OS Grid: SP767250

Mapcode National: GBR C04.R1R

Mapcode Global: VHDTQ.L1ZS

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 19 August 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396833

Location: Granborough, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Granborough

Built-Up Area: Granborough

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Granborough

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Winslow

Listing Text

SP 72 NE SP 72 SE GRANBOROUGH GREEN END
(south side)
2/39 6/39 Church of St. John
the Baptist.

19.8.59

GV II*

Parish church. Nave and chancel C14, altered C15, W. tower C15
with 1983 repairs, all much restored 1880-81. Coursed rubble
limestone, larger semi-dressed blocks to tower. Lead roof to
nave, tiled chancel. W. tower of 3 stages with diagonal
buttresses, moulded plinth, battlemented parapet and 2-light
openings to bell-chamber. W. side has moulded doorway with
4-centred arch and 2-light traceried window above. Nave has
late C15 windows, 3-light in E. bay, 2-light in W. bay. S. side
has additional 2-light Decorated window to right of centre.
N. and S. doors have 2-centred arches and hoodmoulds with worn
carved head stops. Chancel has one bay of 2-light Decorated windows,
small cusped lancet to S., and door to N. E. window is 3-light
Decorated. Interior: double hollow-chamfered arch to tower.
Nave has double-sided piscina with ogee arches in reveal of S.E.
window, and roof with moulded tie beam inscribed RSBF 161(9?)5 IF.
Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on semi-octagonal
piers with moulded caps. Chancel has cinquefoil piscina and
roof with C15 moulded wall-plates and tie beam.
Fittings: C15 pewter chrismatory; C15 carved alabaster panel
of Crucifixion; altar table dated Annis Hopper 1625, with turned
baluster legs; C17 chair; panelled door to cupboard in N. wall
dated RS 1735 GS. Late C19 glass; other fittings late C19.

RCHM p. 118-9.


Listing NGR: SP7678025000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.