This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6268 / 50°37'36"N
Longitude: -1.1785 / 1°10'42"W
OS Eastings: 458202
OS Northings: 81109
OS Grid: SZ582811
Mapcode National: GBR 9DS.NVJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 87FD.STQ
Entry Name: Vernon Cottage
Listing Date: 14 March 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310231
Location: Shanklin, Isle of Wight, PO37
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Shanklin
Built-Up Area: Shanklin
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Shanklin St Saviour-on-the-Cliff
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ5881 EASTCLIFF ROAD
14/03/49 Vernon Cottage
House and tea rooms. Built in 1817 for Edward Vernon Utterson
in Cottage Ornee style possibly after the designs of John
Plaw. Left-hand gable added mid C19 and with C20 alterations
and rear extension. Built of stone rubble with wooden applied
framing and carving and thatched roof with brick chimneystack.
Irregular shape 1 storey and attics with 3 windows to main
elevation. South-east elevation has ground floor of stone
rubble, the attic stuccoed with some applied framing. 3
windows. Blank gable to left-hand side with fretted
bargeboards with pendant and lancet window with human mask
corbels to dripmould. Central hipped dormer with carved
bressumer to eaves and restored large casement with leaded
lights. To the right is a projecting half-hipped gable with
elaborate moulding and bargeboards, with triple casement to
1st floor and 5-light renewed bay to ground floor. Doorcase to
right-hand side slightly projecting, having gable with
bargeboards and 2-centre arched headed doorcase. South-west
elevation has projecting 1st floor gable with fretted
bargeboards on wooden brackets, and containing oriel window,
also on moulded bracket. Diagonally set stone chimney with 3
octagonal brick flues. Attached to north of this is a mid C19
bay projecting extension of stone on ground floor and
fishscale slates above. Fretted bargeboards. One 4-light oriel
and 1 casement. To rear is mid C20 1 storey shop extension not
of special interest. The Entrance Hall has hexagonal
decorative floor tiles and an ogee arch to staircase, which
has scrolled tread ends and 2 turned balusters to each tread.
The ground floor front left room has inserted under a window
on the west side a probably Flemish fireplace dated Anno 1693.
This has a frieze of lions and cherubs and mermen with
entwined tails supported on 2 caryatids with Ionic capitals.
Cast iron fire surround c1820 added. Carved wooden panel on
ceiling with strapwork motif and cornice with roses and
modified mutule frieze. 6 panelled doors with C17 type
round-headed arches on back. Ground floor right side room has
fireplace with carving of the Four Seasons, probably reused
C17 Flemish carvings inserted in reeded surround with lions
mask paterae. Square panel to ceiling. Door has very fine
moulded architrave and Perpendicular-style carved door.
Listing NGR: SZ5820281109
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings