This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5288 / 50°31'43"N
Longitude: -4.9835 / 4°59'0"W
OS Eastings: 188641
OS Northings: 74141
OS Grid: SW886741
Mapcode National: GBR ZK.BN5G
Mapcode Global: FRA 07GN.LBF
Entry Name: Church of St Merryn
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Last Amended: 20 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212764
English Heritage Legacy ID: 397263
Location: St. Merryn, Cornwall, PL28
Civil Parish: St. Merryn
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: St Merryn
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW87SE ST MERRYN ST MERRYN
1525/3/267 Church of St Merryn
(Formerly listed as:
Church of St Marina)
Parish church dedicated to St Merryn. Probably Norman origins, extended in C15 and restored 1887-1907 and again in 1962. Stone rubble and slate roofs. PLAN: Norman origins with remains of Norman arch to west tower. North transept circa C13 and 7-bay south aisle added in C15. EXTERIOR: quoins of west tower rebuilt in 1962. 2 stages with set back corner buttresses, (relocated on top of the north buttresses there are 2 circa C15 carved Catacleuse angel corbels holding shields), battlemented parapet with crocketed finials. C15 moulded arch to west door, 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry openings. Catacleuse stone Perpendicular tracery with 3-light windows in south aisle, the east windows with C19 Perpendicular tracery and circa C14 lancet window in north transept. INTERIOR: Cl5 unceiled waggon roofs with moulded ribs and carved wall plates and bosses. Ceiled simple chancel roof. Chamfered 4-centred tower arch. Cl5 7-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred moulded arches of Catacleuse stone. C19 furnishings with remains of C16 bench end. Fine quality circa C15 Catacleuse stone font similar to that in Church of St Petroc, Padstow (qv); round bowl with 12 carved figures of apostles and carved angels on corners; round central shaft with 4 octagonal corner shafts. Plaster Royal coat of arms, by John Abbot in 1662 for Thomas Peter of Harlyn House (qv); restored 1981.
MONUMENTS: include those of John Mitchell and family 1617; William Trevathvan of Porthcothen, 1695 and Henry Peter 1821. Stocks dated 1788 in porch.
(SOURCES: Pevsner N and Radcliffe E: The Buildings of England: Cornwall: 2nd edition: 1970-; Truro District Sites and Monuments Register-:)
Listing NGR: SW8864174141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings