History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Saviour's on the Cliff Including Church Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shanklin, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6287 / 50°37'43"N

Longitude: -1.1749 / 1°10'29"W

OS Eastings: 458454

OS Northings: 81323

OS Grid: SZ584813

Mapcode National: GBR 9DS.HRN

Mapcode Global: FRA 87FD.VGK

Entry Name: Church of St Saviour's on the Cliff Including Church Hall

Listing Date: 14 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212831

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310240

Location: Shanklin, Isle of Wight, PO37

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Shanklin

Built-Up Area: Shanklin

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Shanklin St Saviour-on-the-Cliff

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Shanklin

Listing Text

SHANKLIN
SZ5881
QUEEN'S ROAD
1352-0/8/206 Church of St Saviour's on the Cliff
incl Church Hall
GV II

Church and church hall. Earliest part of 1869 by Thomas
Hellyer of Ryde in Early English style comprized nave,
chancel, vestry and organ chamber. In 1871 the south aisle and
porch were added and in 1876 the north aisle and church hall
were added. The tower and spire were completed in 1887 and the
Galilee porch and baptistery-added in 1905 by W O Milne. Built
of Isle of Wight stone rubble, except for bapistry, Galilee
porch and tower, which are of ashlar, with tiled roof. 4 bay
nave with lower 2 bay chancel, north and south aisles, south
porch, semi-circular baptistery to south-west linked by
Galilee porch to north-west tower with spire. Nave has
clerestorey windows of alternate quatrefoil and cinquefoil
lights flanked by lancets. South aisle has buttresses and 3
triple lancets. West gable with sexfoil window above and 2
double trefoliated lancets below with small quatrefoils above.
North aisle has 3 pointed arched windows with trefoils under
hood moulding and 2 lancets to end bay. Chancel has 2 double
trefoliated windows with large quatrefoils above. Gable with
cross-shaped saddlestone. Double plinth. South porch gabled
with pointed arched entry with dwarf columns and wooden arch
braced roof. Baptistery apsidal-ended with buttresses and
lancet windows. Galilee porch has central porch with
round-headed arch dying into buttresses flanked by triple
lancet windows. North-west tower of 4 stages changes from
square to octagonal in final stage and has stepped buttresses,
semi-circular stair turret to soutn-west, tall lancets to bell
chamber and elaborate stone spire with bands of carving
surmounted by iron weathervane and with . Elaborate gargoyle
waterspouts. Porch with pointed arch with dogtooth ornament
and triple attached columns. 2nd stage has 2 plain lancets and
3rd stage has arched recess with 3 lancets.
Interior: baptistery has an elaborate stone font with
octagonal bowl supported on 4 granite columns with wooden font
cover. nave has arches on circular columns, boarded
arch-braced roof resting on stone corbels and elaborate carved
oak pulpit dating from 1903. War memorial altar by Macdonald
Grill 1921. Chancel has oak screen and stalls of 1902 and
boarded arch braced roof Sanctuary has marble and gold
reredos of 1876 depicting the Ascension and marble and mosaic
walls dating from 1914. Triple sedilia.
Church hall attached to north of 1876. Built of Isle of Wight
stone rubble with tiled roof. L-shaped. West elevation has
hipped 4-light dormer and tiled and wooden verandah. South
elevation has 2 scallop-tiled gables with moulded wooden
bargeboards containing triplemullioned and transomed
casements. Tiled verandah supported on 5 stone piers. Gable
end has 4-light mullioned and transomed window under flat
relieving arch.
(Buildings of England:Lloyd D:Hampshire and the Isle of
Wight:769) .


Listing NGR: SZ5845481323


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.