History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II Listed Building in Ingleton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1898 / 54°11'23"N

Longitude: -2.4033 / 2°24'11"W

OS Eastings: 373782

OS Northings: 477192

OS Grid: SD737771

Mapcode National: GBR CMNZ.HT

Mapcode Global: WH94S.1YVD

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324585

Location: Ingleton, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA6

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Ingleton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Chapel-le-Dale St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ribblehead Station

Listing Text

INGLETON CHAPEL LE DALE
SD 77 NW
6/5 Church of St Leonard
20.2.58
- II

Chapel. Late C17 with C18 alterations, restored 1869. Slobbered squared limestone
rubble, stone dressings, stone slate roof. South entrance porch, west bellcote,
3 bay nave, 1 bay chancel. South porch: mid-C19 chamfered round arch and moulded
impost blocks and keystone; cruciform finial. Internal mid-C18 round arch,
plain jambs on moulded bases, imposts, moulded keyed round arch, plank door.
Corbelled west bellcote, probably mid-C18, gabled with open pediment to west
and keyed basket arch to louvre on east. Single light west window with chamfered
round arch. Two 2-light chamfered windows with round heads and cavetto mullions
to nave. Slate sundial with gnomon. 3-light chamfered mullioned window to
chancel. East chancel window has 2 lights with round heads; C17 jambs and
sill. c1980 mullion, mid C19 head. Occulus above. Mid-C19 cruciform finial.
Interior: 4 bay king post roof trusses with moulded king posts and V struts
to principal rafters, restored 1869. Projecting mid-C19 common rafters. Mid-C17
altar rail, turned balusters, moulded rails. White marble memorial on west
wall of nave with foliate brackets, Tudor arch and raked embattled parapet
on dark marble backplate inscribed:
TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO THROUGH ACCIDENTS
LOST THEIR LIVES, IN CONSTRUCTING THE RAILWAY
WORKS, BETWEEN SETTLE, AND DENT HEAD. THIS
TABLET WAS ERECTED AT THE JOINT EXPENSE, OF
THEIR FELLOW WORKMEN AND THE MIDLAND RAILWAY
COMPANY 1869 TO 1876"


Listing NGR: SD7378277192

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.