This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3407 / 52°20'26"N
Longitude: 1.0079 / 1°0'28"E
OS Eastings: 604998
OS Northings: 275662
OS Grid: TM049756
Mapcode National: GBR SGW.9LT
Mapcode Global: VHKCX.FF5G
Entry Name: The Bridewell with Forecourt and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Last Amended: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280722
Location: Botesdale, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Botesdale
Built-Up Area: Rickinghall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Redgrave cum Botesdale with the Rickinghalls
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BOTESDALE BRIDEWELL LANE (NORTH
TM 07 NE and TM 0475
2/1 and 6/1 The Bridewell with
29.7.55 Forecourt and Garden
Walls (formerly listed
as Bridewell House)
House, former Bridewell. c.1810, altered C19 and C20. Red brick. Hipped
machine tiled roof. 3 bays. 2 storeys. Central entrance with steps up to a
part raised and part glazed fielded panelled door, architrave with blocked
semi-circular fanlight, later hipped open porch on octagonal timber uprights.
Glazing bar sashes in shallow reveals, gauged brick flat arched heads, timber
sills; first floor outer 16 pane sashes. Offset plinth, dentilled brick
eaves. Returns have extruded axial stacks with double offsets, mixed
casements and sashes with cambered heads. To rear an extruded kitchen stack
in a continuous pantiled flint and brick lean-to outshut. Interior: mid C19
staircase with slat balusters, moulded and ramped handrail. Attached to rear
lean-to at sides are rebuilt outshuts linking to original walls of 3 to 4
metres in height with rounded coping, offset plinth, some pilaster strips.
The walls enclose a garden to rear of about 25 metres square and continue
forward about 25m to sides of forecourt. At front small ramps up to piers
with ball finials, iron railings on low quadrant spur walls further forward.
Listing NGR: TM0499875662
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings