History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Southwell Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0781 / 53°4'41"N

Longitude: -0.9562 / 0°57'22"W

OS Eastings: 470019

OS Northings: 353936

OS Grid: SK700539

Mapcode National: GBR BK3.517

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.8WXN

Entry Name: Southwell Methodist Church

Listing Date: 18 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213196

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242440

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Built-Up Area: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SOUTHWELL

PREBEND PASSAGE
SK7053
1919-0/11/134 (North West side)
18/02/92 Southwell Methodist Church

II

Methodist church. Dated 1839 on datestone on south gable.
Brick with stone dressings, the front partly stuccoed, with
slate roof. Single gable stack. 2 storeys plus basement, 3x4
bays. Front has 3 glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick heads
and a heavily moulded pediment containing a shaped datestone
inscribed "Wesley Chapel". Loggia with central Tuscan columns
spanned by a curved lamp bracket, and on either side an
opening with elaborate cast iron railing on a dwarf wall.
Beyond again, single blank panels with pilasters. Under the
loggia, a central panelled 2-leaf door with fanlight, flanked
by single basement lights and above them, single glazing bar
sashes. Each side has 3 margin light sashes and above them, 4
similar sashes, all with rubbed brick heads. On the west side
at basement level, 3 plain sashes and to their right, an
elliptical-arched carriage opening with double doors. On the
east side, to left, a segment-headed opening with an iron
gate. North gable has a central 2-storey gabled projection
flanked on either side by lower lean-to additions. In the
central gable a tablet inscribed "Wesley Chapel". Interior has
a coved horseshoe-shaped gallery with Adam-style ornament and
plain coping. Iron columns with acanthus-leaf capitals. East
end has moulded proscenium arch with plain piers. Plain
ceiling with moulded cornice and foliate central boss. Organ
chamber at east end has a boarded wagon roof. Gallery has
original pews. Other fittings c1870 include elliptical dais
with wrought iron railing, and canted matchboard pulpit with
flanking stairs and wrought iron balusters. Panelled dado and
benches with shaped ends.


Listing NGR: SK7001953936

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.