This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9179 / 51°55'4"N
Longitude: -0.826 / 0°49'33"W
OS Eastings: 480840
OS Northings: 225027
OS Grid: SP808250
Mapcode National: GBR D1K.N0R
Mapcode Global: VHDTR.M2P1
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 397802
Location: Hoggeston, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Hoggeston
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hoggeston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 NW HOGGESTON MAIN STREET
3/61 Church of the Holy Cross
Parish church. Nave C12, S. aisle early C13 , altered and N. aisle
built mid C14. C15 alterations and N. porch. C16 bell tower over
W. end of N. aisle. Chancel largely rebuilt and remainder restored 1882.
Coursed lime and ironstone rubble. Nave and chancel have tiled roofs
with C19 coped gables, aisles have leaded roofs. Bell tower has
shingled upper stage with louvred bell chamber and shingled broach spire.
Supported on massive timber frame with curved braces inside N. aisle.
W. wall of nave has 3-light traceried window over blocked doorway
with moulded 4-centred arch and carved spandrels. Aisles have 2-light
traceried windows, much restored, and moulded arched doorways. S.
aisle has cusped lancet in W. bay. N. porch has double chamfered arch
with hoodmould, small square window to E. and interior with stone
benches, carved stone cross on W. wall, moulded tie beams and embattled
wall plates. Chancel has ogee-traceried windows, 2-light to N. and
S., 3-light to E., and S. door. Interior: nave of 3 bays. N. arcade
has double chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps, the
W. arch resting on carved head corbel. Similar chancel arch. S.
arcade has similar arch to W., and 2 Transitional arches, pointed and
chamfered, to E. on central round pier with moulded cap. Blocked
round-headed window in central spandrel, rectangular opening to rood-
loft at E. end. S. aisle has 4-centred arch to rood-loft stairs,
much restored cusped ogee piscina, and roof with moulded purlin and
2 trusses with C17 scalloped ornament. Chancel has C19 roof, piscina,
sedilia and tomb recess. Fittings: C15 octagonal font, early C18
pulpit, C17 grass tussock. Other fittings C19. Glass in E.
window by Sir Ninian Comper 1949. Monuments: C14 carved stone effigy
holding chapel and with feet on a sheep, said to be William de
Birmingham 1342. S. aisle has altar tomb to Elizabeth Mayne 1599.
Brass to Thomas Mayne 1608.
RCHM II p. 151-2.
Listing NGR: SP8084025027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings