This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8974 / 51°53'50"N
Longitude: -0.8721 / 0°52'19"W
OS Eastings: 477705
OS Northings: 222700
OS Grid: SP777227
Mapcode National: GBR C0C.VR6
Mapcode Global: VHDTQ.TKTS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 397817
Location: North Marston, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: North Marston
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 SE NORTH MARSTON CHURCH STREET
6/70 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. C13 N. aisle, C14 S. aisle and porch, C15 chancel, N.
vestry and W. tower, late C15 clerestory and alterations to S. arcade,
chancel restored 1854. All restored 1920-21. Chancel is of ashlar,
remainder of squared and coursed rubble stone. Lead roofs. W. tower
of 3 stages has diagonal buttresses, remains of moulded plinth,
battlemented parapet with carved gargoyles, and 2-light openings to
bell-chamber. W. door has moulded 2-centred arch with hoodmould, and
2-light traceried window above. Nave has battlemented parapet and
clerestory with 3 bays of 4-light cusped windows with flat heads.
N. aisle has small lancet to W., and 2-light traceried windows flanking
moulded arched doorway to N. S. aisle has plain parapet and 2 3-light
windows with flat heads, that to left with uncusped lights. Finely
moulded S. doorway, double chamfered arch to porch. E. window of
S. aisle is Decorated with 3-lights, one blocked by chancel buttress,
with ogee tracery and one carved head stop to hoodmould. Chancel and
vestry have battlemented parapet with crocketted finials, moulded corbel
table below with carved heads and half-figures, and moulded plinth,
sill course and dripmould. Off-set buttresses. Chancel has 3 bays
of Perpendicular windows with moulded frames, similar 5-light with some
ogee tracery to E. S. doorway has 4-centred arch. 2-storey vestry
has irregular cusped lights and octagonal stair turret. Interior:
triple chamfered tower arch. Nave has N. arcade of double chamfered
arches with outer nailhead moulding on quatrefoil piers with moulded
caps. 2 arches to W. of S. arcade are chamfered and moulded and have
central octagonal pier with concave sides. Arch to E, is moulded and
has piers with unusual vertical mouldings and fleurons to capitals.
To E. of S. arcade is cusped ogee arch with ornamental fleurons and
arch to rood-loft above. Fine late C15 roof with moulded beams,braced
tie beams with traceried spandrels, and carved angel corbels. Aisles
have traces of wall paintings. S. aisle has Decorated E. bay with
fleurons to moulded sill course, window surround and low arched recess,
probably shrine of John Schorne. E. window has ogee niches in jambs,
that to right on carved head corbel. Decorated piscina. Chancel has
blind window over 4-centred doorway to vestry, moulded ogee piscina with
shelf on 4-centred arch, and triple sedilia with ogee canopied niches.
E. wall has C19 reredos and flanking ogee niches with painted texts.
Fittings: C15 octagonal font of clunch with quatrefoil panels and shields.
C15 choir stalls with carved misericords, poppyheads and traceried front
panels. C16 pews, poor-box and chest, C16-C17 altar table. Other
fittings C19. Reredos and glass in E. window, 1854, were the gift of
Queen Victoria in memory of John Camden Nield. Monuments: Brass plaques
to Elizabeth Saunders 1613 and Richard Saunders 1602. Stone tablet to
John Virgin, vicar, 1694 with crude relief carving and inscription.
Marble wall tablet to Thomas Saunders and family, 1744, with fluted Doric
pilasters, entablature and pediment. Wall tablet to Richard Saunders,
1751, in N. aisle, with pediment and flanking scrolls.
RCHM II p. 223-5.
Listing NGR: SP7769922700
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings