History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roecliffe School and the Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Roecliffe, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0879 / 54°5'16"N

Longitude: -1.4261 / 1°25'33"W

OS Eastings: 437639

OS Northings: 465924

OS Grid: SE376659

Mapcode National: GBR LPH5.1C

Mapcode Global: WHD97.2J61

Entry Name: Roecliffe School and the Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Last Amended: 29 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331809

Location: Roecliffe, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO51

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Roecliffe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Roecliffe

Listing Text

SE 36 NE ROECLIFFE THE GREEN

2/52 Roecliffe School and The
Schoolhouse (formerly listed
15.3.66 as "School")

GV II


School and schoolhouse. 1874 for Isabell Lawson in memory of her husband
Andrew Sherlock Lawson. In Victorian Gothick and Jacobean style. Dark red
brick, ashlar dressings, fish scale tile roofs. Of 2 storeys, composed of a
4-bay main hall with north porch and bell tower to left and centre, and a
gabled cross wing at each end, plus advanced bay of the attached schoolhouse
to right which faces west and is of 2 storeys and 3 bays. The hall has a
board door in the gabled porch, now a stock room, the windows are mullioned
and transomed; there are 2 gabled dormers with 3-light wooden mullion
windows and applied timber framing in the gables. The cross wings have
large Gothic-style pointed traceried windows, the gables have enriched
fretted barge boards. The porch has an inscription over the door: "Erected
1874 by Isabell Lawson / in memory of her beloved husband / Andrew Sherlock
Lawson / of Aldborough Manor". The arcaded bellcote and spire were
rebuilt 1984. The schoolhouse, right return, is in Tudor style with central
board door flanked by cross windows. First floor has 3-light mullioned
windows, 2 side bays are jettied and gabled. A ridge stack to left of
centre and to rear of roof ridge on right. Interior: the school hall has
original moveable timber partitions screening off the 2 classrooms in the
cross wings. The blocked fireplace is against the south wall and original
doors remain. The clock in the belfry is reached via a 'Jacob's Ladder'
from the small ground-floor room. The access from the schoolhouse to the
school is through a door opposite the front door, beside the staircase.


Listing NGR: SE3763965924

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.