History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Immanuel

A Grade II Listed Building in Prees, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8902 / 52°53'24"N

Longitude: -2.611 / 2°36'39"W

OS Eastings: 358987

OS Northings: 332702

OS Grid: SJ589327

Mapcode National: GBR 7P.PVPQ

Mapcode Global: WH9C1.VMV5

Entry Name: Church of Immanuel

Listing Date: 16 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213355

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260528

Location: Prees, Shropshire, SY13

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Prees

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Fauls Holy Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Weston

Listing Text

PREES C.P. FAULSGREEN
SJ 53 SE
7/71 Church of Immanuel
-
- II
Parish church. 1856 by Benjamin Ferrey with later transepts. Red brick
(English bond) with bands of blue engineering brick and ashlar dressings;
machine tile roofs with fishscale bands and coped verges on carved stone
kneelers. Dentilled eaves cornice supported by brick corbel table with
ornamental brick band at cill level all around main body of church;
similar band to transepts. Nave and chancel in one, formerly with belfry
and shingle spirelet at junction; later north and south transepts (organ
chamber and vestry respectively); south porch. Nave: south side has
2 quatrefoils at different levels to west of porch and a paired lancet
with roundel above to east; west wall has 2 lancets with elaborately
cusped rose window and a late C20 gabled bellcote; north side has 3
paired lancets with roundels above, identical to that on south, easternmost
cut by transept. Chancel: 2 trefoil-headed lancets with cusped trefoils
above on north and an elaborately cusped east window of 3 lancets.
Porch with triple-chamfered doorway, north transept (1898) and south
transept (c.1904) in similar style to rest of church. North transept
has foundation stone laid by Isabella, Viscountess Hill, April 30th,
1898. Interior: arch-braced roof in 6 bays with bracing for former
spirelet still visible at junction between nave and chancel. Mid- to
late C19 fittings and furnishings; octagonal font with religious monograms
and a Greek palindrome and the stone pulpit with elaborately carved foliage
decoration being the most notable original features. Elaborately carved
organ of 1898; west gallery. B.O.E. p.130; D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 8 (1906) p.689.


Listing NGR: SJ5898732702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.