This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2399 / 52°14'23"N
Longitude: 1.1728 / 1°10'22"E
OS Eastings: 616723
OS Northings: 264930
OS Grid: TM167649
Mapcode National: GBR VLX.HBR
Mapcode Global: VHL9V.8YWS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary of Grace
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281284
Location: Aspall, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Aspall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Aspall St Mary of Grace
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 16 SE
7/3 Church of St Mary of Grace
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1853. Nave, chancel, west tower, north
porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with remains of plaster on nave and
chancel; stone dressings. Slated roof to nave. Chancel roof has old
plaintiles to south and scalloped black plaintiles to most of the north slope.
C15 square tower with diagonal buttresses to west; moulded west doorway, now
blocked; 2-light belfry openings, mostly altered; crenellated parapet with
knapped flint facing. 2-bay nave: restored C15 windows with mask label stops.
Moulded north doorway with medieval door. Unmoulded south doorway. Much
restored timber framed porch, probably of early C16: brick-nogging at front,
original roof with moulded cornice and ridge piece. Early C14 chancel: to the
south, 2 windows with Y tracery and a simple Priest's doorway; 3-light east
window with intersecting tracery. Interior. 3-bay arch-braced nave roof with
tie beams, probably post-medieval in date, with C19 restoration. Boarded
chancel ceiling. Moulded chancel arch with C19 label stops. Early C14
trefoil piscina in sanctuary. C15 font with restored carving: 4 lions against
the stem, 4 roses alternating with angels and lions on the bowl. 2 chancel
stalls incorporate re-used C15 tracery. The C19 furnishings include a set of
nave benches with panelled poppyhead ends and carved arm-rests. Minor wall
tablets to members of the Chevallier family.
Listing NGR: TM1672364930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings