History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Portland Street Underground Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Marylebone High Street, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5238 / 51°31'25"N

Longitude: -0.1439 / 0°8'38"W

OS Eastings: 528862

OS Northings: 182171

OS Grid: TQ288821

Mapcode National: GBR C7.VY

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.GY8R

Entry Name: Great Portland Street Underground Station

Listing Date: 19 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209897

Location: Westminster, London, W1W

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marylebone High Street

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Marylebone

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 2882 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREAT PORTLAND STREET,
36/14 Wl
Great Portland Street
19.1.87 Underground Station
- II
Underground station with shops. c.1912 Metropolitan Line station. Cream
faience tile faced with slate mansard roof. Elliptical plan with
entrances in slightly advanced pavilions at cardinal points and perimeter
shops surrounding booking hall-concourse. Free Classical style. 2
storeys. East and west pavilions, with rusticated quoins, have central,
semicircular arched, keystoned entrances flanked by square headed
keystoned openings; 1st floor with 2 architraved windows alternating with
3 architraved panels. North pavilion 4 windows wide with central
semicircular arched entrance in rusticated surround flanked by
semicircular arched opening and blind recess each side. South pavilion
single storeyed finishing at 1st floor cornice continuous around building.
In between pavilions are shops and windows on ground floor and alternating
casemented windows and panels on 1st floor, as on east and west pavilions;
in north-east and north-west quadrants shops are separated by engaged
Doric columns. Crowning cornice and blocking course. Concourse top lit
with square Doric piers, stone faced with marble plinths, encircling
c.1930 booking office under altered lantern; pilasters to outer perimeter
flanking shop fronts. Original banded tilework to south wall and stairs
down to platforms; 1930s tiled geometric paving to concourse floor.


Listing NGR: TQ2886282171

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.