History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

94, Great Portland Street W1

A Grade II Listed Building in West End, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5188 / 51°31'7"N

Longitude: -0.1419 / 0°8'30"W

OS Eastings: 529014

OS Northings: 181625

OS Grid: TQ290816

Mapcode National: GBR D9.9Q

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.H3B0

Entry Name: 94, Great Portland Street W1

Listing Date: 25 February 1982

Last Amended: 1 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213655

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209900

Location: Westminster, London, W1W

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Souls Langham Place

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 2981 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREAT PORTLAND STREET,
46/20 W1
25.2.82 No. 94 (includes former
No 34 Langham Street)
- II
Terrace house on corner. Later C18. Rebuilt stock brick with red brick dressings,
slate roof. 4 storeys. 3 windows wide. Ground floor has later C20 showroom
inserted. Upper floors have recessed renewed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged
arches. Moulded cornice over 2nd floor, parapet with coping. Return to Langham
Street of 2 bays with gable end, has recessed sashes in stucco reveals with stone
sills and flat gauged arches. Continuous with this side and now part of same
premises, the former No. 34 Langham Street has a 2 window front, with semicircular
arched doorway to left, recessed flat arched sashes, cornice over 2nd floor. Inside
the latter retains entrance hall and geometrical stone staircase and wrought iron
balustrade, the lower flight with spiral and leaf ornament; 1st floor front room
with mid C19 moulded cornice. The former No. 34 was the residence of Sir Charles
Barry from 1828 to 1841. Marconi also lived here and is said to have made his first
radio transmissions from the house.


Listing NGR: TQ2901481625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.