History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Horwood, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9705 / 51°58'13"N

Longitude: -0.8507 / 0°51'2"W

OS Eastings: 479046

OS Northings: 230845

OS Grid: SP790308

Mapcode National: GBR BZM.FQ4

Mapcode Global: VHDTC.6QLT

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 19 August 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213693

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398303

Location: Little Horwood, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK17

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Little Horwood

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Little Horwood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Horwood

Listing Text

SP 73 SE LITTLE HORWOOD CHURCH STREET
(east side)
1/60
Church of St. Nicholas
19.8.59

GV II*

Parish Church. Nave early C13, chancel and S. aisle originally C14,
C15 W. tower, C19 S. porch, all very much restored 1889. Coursed
rubble stone, tower of dressed stone with restored ashlar top stage.
Tiled roofs to nave and chancel, lead roof to aisle. W. tower of
3 stages has diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet, 2-light
traceried openings to bell-chamber and over W. door, and door with
moulded 4-centred arch. N. wall of nave has buttresses, 2 C19
3-light traceried windows and blocked doorway with chamfered arch.
S. aisle has restored 3-light Decorated window to west, and 2
3-light cusped windows with flat heads to south, S. door has double
hollow chamfered arch and hood. Rendered porch. Chancel has C19
Decorated windows, 2 2-light to south, one 2-light and one single
light to north, and one 3-light to east., small S. door in hollow
chamfered arch and hood, restored. Interior: tower arch has double
hollow chamfer. Nave has S. arcade of 4 bays with double chamfered
arches, only slightly pointed except at W. end, on round piers
with simply moulded caps and bases. Similar chancel arch on semi-
octagonal responds with moulded caps. Nave and chancel roofs are
C19, S. aisle has C16 roof with moulded purlin and cambered tie
beams. Cusped piscina in chancel. N. wall of nave has wall paintings,
C15-C16 over C13. Early C17 pulpit. Brass tablet of Ten Commandments
1641, C19 and C20 glass, other fittings C19. Late C18-early C19
memorial tablets to Langston family.
RCHM II p 175 -6


Listing NGR: SP7904630845

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.