This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7457 / 50°44'44"N
Longitude: -2.8948 / 2°53'41"W
OS Eastings: 336965
OS Northings: 94391
OS Grid: SY369943
Mapcode National: GBR PK.HJ2M
Mapcode Global: FRA 47T3.Q1J
Entry Name: Parish Church (St Mary)
Listing Date: 10 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104693
Location: Catherston Leweston, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Catherston Leweston
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Catherston Leweston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 39 SE CATHERSTON LEWESTON
5/8 Parish Church
Parish Church. 1857-8 by J L Pearson. Commissioned by R L Hildyard,
lord of Catherston Manor. Nave and Chancel; north Vestry; entry by West
door. Knapped chert walls, the cherts fitting closely to make a surface.
Stone for plinths, buttresses, strings, gable copings, cornices, window
tracery. Plain tile roof with copings at west gable, nave/chancel divide
and east end. Copings have gableted kneelers. Stone sanctus bell-cote
over west gable with sunk trefoil and stone cross over. Cross-in-wheel
over middle coping. Small cross with trefoil terminals over east coping.
West elevation: good west doorway with 3 orders of responds, naturalistic
foliage capitals, keeled roll mouldings to pointed arch. Label with
naturalistic foliage stops. West window of 4 lights with geometric
tracery. North elevation: 4 bays. Mullion windows, with geometric
tracery heads. East end has frieze of sunk quatrefoils all round. East
window, 3 light with respond-jambs and sexfoil geometrical tracery over.
Memorial Tablet to R C Hildyard, d 1857 and R H Hildyard, d 1876.
Interior: nave roof of arch-braced construction with high collars. 2 sets
of wind-braces, the lower as ashlaring. Longitudinal ridge-bracing. 5 bays
to roof carried on stone corbels with carved angel-musicians. Chancel-roof,
similar, of 3 bays. Chancel-arch, single responds, naturalistic foliage
capitals, high pointed arch. Chancel East wall: diaper pattern of carved
paterae behind altar and on reredos. Integral reredos of 3 trefoil-
cusped arches on marbled colonettes. Running foliage string-course over.
Credence shelf below north window. Sedilia below south window. Fittings:
Font, Beerstone, with octagonal bowl: scenes from Christ's Ministry.
Latin inscription round bowl and dated 1858. Pulpit, stone, octagonal with
pointed arches in a square panel, carried on marble colonettes. Stained
glass, good in Decorated style, 1858, by Clayton & Bell, East window with
Christ's Passion in 3 scenes. West window: scenes from the life of the
Virgin. Altar-rail with twisted-iron shafts and running foliage spandrels.
Choir-stalls, oak, with 13th century style details. Iron work candelabrum
to priest's desk. "F P Pitfield, Dorset Parish Churches A - D", p 152.
Listing NGR: SY3696594391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings