History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marsh Gibbon, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9038 / 51°54'13"N

Longitude: -1.0601 / 1°3'36"W

OS Eastings: 464761

OS Northings: 223228

OS Grid: SP647232

Mapcode National: GBR 9YS.NS7

Mapcode Global: VHCX5.KDYV

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214446

English Heritage Legacy ID: 399253

Location: Marsh Gibbon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, OX27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Marsh Gibbon

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Marsh Gibbon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stratton Audley

Listing Text

SP 6423 MARSH GIBBON CHURCH STREET
(north-west side)

8/38 Cnurch of St. Mary

13.7.66

GV II*

Parish Church. C13 cruciform plan. S. aisle added c1300,
S. porch C15. N. aisle and vestry added, W. tower rebuilt and
remainder restored 1879-80. Rubble stone. Lead roofs to nave,
aisles and transepts; tiled chancel. W. tower of 2 stages with
battlemented parapet, pinnacles and Perpendicular openings.
Doorway and 3-light window to W. Nave of 2 bays has C16 2-light
windows to clerestory, and parapet. S. aisle has 2-light window
with ogee tracery and flat hoodmould to left, and C16 3-light
window to right. S. porch has moulded 4-centred arch and parapet.
C19 N. aisle has 3-light windows similar to clerestory. N. transept
has 2 lancets with continuous drip mould to N. and 3-light
Perpendicular window with carved head stops to E. S. transept has
5-light Perpendicular window to S. Chancel has C19 lancets with
continuous hood and sill moulds, 3 to each wall with taller central
light to E. Interior: nave has double chamfered C13 arches to
transepts withcarved foliage and heads to caps. Similar arcade with
moulded caps to S. aisle imitated C19 to N. aisle. C15-C16 roofs
to nave and transepts with moulded beams on restored carved angel
corbels. N. transept has 2 piscinae in E. wall, S. transept has
piscina with segmental arch and C15-C16 library recess with wooden
frame. Chancel has segmental arched tomb recess. Fittings: C17
pews. Other fittings C19 including carved stone rerdos of The
Last Supper. Monuments: wall tablets to Abigail and Richard Barker
1712 and John Dodd 1698 in N. transept, and to John Townsend 1714
in S. transept.

RCHM II pp 188-189


Listing NGR: SP6476123228

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.