This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.95 / 51°56'59"N
Longitude: -0.9209 / 0°55'15"W
OS Eastings: 474261
OS Northings: 228493
OS Grid: SP742284
Mapcode National: GBR BZQ.N0Q
Mapcode Global: VHDTJ.070Z
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399377
Location: Addington, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Addington
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Addington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 NW ADDINGTON
6/5 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C14 tower, arcades and chancel arch. Restored and
remainder rebuilt by G.E. Street 1857. Coursed rubble stone, tiled
roofs to S. porch and chancel, copper roofs to nave and aisles. W.
tower of three stages with offset diagonal buttresses, battlemented
parapet and 2-light Perpendicular openings to bell chamber. Perpendicular
W. door and 2-light window above. Nave has three round clerestory
windows with C19 tracery. C19 aisles and chancel have decorated windows
under labels with carved stops. Aisles are continued to flank tower.
Steeply gabled S. porch. Lean-to vestry to N. of chancel. Interior:
W. tower has tall 2-centred double chamfered arches to nave and aisles.
Nave of three bays has arcades of two centred chamfered arches
continuous with piers. Similar double chamfered chancel arch with moulded
caps and bases to semi-octagonal shafts. Chancel has pillar piscina of
re-used C12 shaft and capital. Early C17 Flemish glass panels set in
windows, C19 glass in E. window. Other fittings C19. Marble wall
monuments : plaque to Sir John Busby 1705 with bust above and surround
of military trophies; monument to Thomas Busby 1753 by M. Rysbrack with
cherub, broken column and obelisk behind; Anne Busby c.1800 by H. Hopper
of London with weeping woman and urn; other plaques to Busby family.
RCHM II p 53
Listing NGR: SP7426128492
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings