History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity and Attached Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0743 / 53°4'27"N

Longitude: -0.9612 / 0°57'40"W

OS Eastings: 469689

OS Northings: 353510

OS Grid: SK696535

Mapcode National: GBR BK3.9SJ

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.6ZJK

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity and Attached Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 9 February 1973

Last Amended: 20 May 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214569

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242499

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Built-Up Area: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SOUTHWELL

WESTGATE
SK6953
1919-0/10/194 (South side)
09/02/73 Church of Holy Trinity and attached
boundary wall
(Formerly Listed as:
WESTGATE
Church of the Holy Trinity)
(Formerly Listed as:
WESTGATE
Churchyard walls and 4 sets of gate
piers)

II

Parish church and attached boundary wall. 1844. By Weightman &
Hadfield of Sheffield. Ashlar with slate roofs. Early English
style. West tower with spire, nave with clerestorey and
aisles, north porch, vestry, chancel. 3-stage west tower has
double chamfered plinth, 3 string courses, trefoiled corbel
table to bell stage, gabled angle buttresses to west. To
south-east, octagonal stair turret with pyramidal roof. West
side has moulded doorway with cusped head and single shafts
and C20 door. Above it a single lancet. South side has a
single chamfered square casement. Second stage has a single
lancet to north and south, with hood moulds. Bell stage has on
each side a moulded bell opening with hood mould, containing
an unglazed double lancet. Octagonal broach spire has 3 tiers
of gabled lucarnes on alternate sides, finial and weathercock.
5 bay nave has coped east gable with chimney stack to south
east, and on each side, 5 pairs of cusped lancets. Oval window
in east gable. Buttressed aisles, 5 bays, have chamfered
plinths, sill bands, single lancets with linked hood moulds,
moulded corbels and coped ends, each with a single lancet.
North aisle has porch to west, with 3 lancets to left and one
to right. Porch has coped gable with flanking buttresses,
double chamfered doorway with filleted shafts and hood mould,
and a single lancet in each side. South aisle has regular
fenestration. Vestry, forming a single bay continuation to the
aisle, has a lancet at the east end. 2 bay chancel has plinth,
coped east gable and gabled angle buttresses. All the openings
have hood moulds. North side has a lancet to left and a door
to right. South side has a single lancet to right. East end
has 3 graduated single lancets and above, an oval window.
Rendered interior has common rafter roof with strutted collars
, and lean-to roofs to aisles. Nave has 5-bay arcades, the 2
south west bays being blocked. Round piers, plain capitals,
double chamfered arches and hood moulds. Clerestorey sill
band. Double chamfered tower arch with round shafts. North
aisle has memorial windows, 1892, 1914 and 1918. South aisle
has memorial windows 1890, 1912 and 1917. Chancel has plain
double chamfered arch with round piers, moulded capitals and
bases. Each side has a chamfered door and a memorial window,
1905 and 1906. East end has a full-width blind arcade with
cusped openings and single shafts, the 3 centre bays with
crocketed gables. Above, 3 lancets with shafts and linked hood
mould. Stained glass 1894. Fittings include elaborate
traceried oak pulpit with figure carving , traceried panelled
octagonal font with marble shafts, oak eagle lectern,
traceried screen resited in south aisle, plain benches.
Memorials include Classical marble tablet, 1878, and alabaster
war memorial tablet, 1919. Outside, ashlar boundary wall to
north east. Stepped gabled coping and near central pair of
square gatepiers with pyramidal caps and wrought iron gate.
Approx.20M long.


Listing NGR: SK6968953510


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.