History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Barrow upon Humber, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6782 / 53°40'41"N

Longitude: -0.379 / 0°22'44"W

OS Eastings: 507170

OS Northings: 421414

OS Grid: TA071214

Mapcode National: GBR TTSX.R6

Mapcode Global: WHGFY.4TS2

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Last Amended: 17 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214630

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165808

Location: Barrow upon Humber, North Lincolnshire, DN19

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Barrow upon Humber

Built-Up Area: Barrow upon Humber

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Barrow-upon-Humber Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Barrow upon Humber

Listing Text

TA 0621-0721 BARROW UPON HUMBER HIGH STREET
(west side)

14/9 The Old Vicarage
(formerly listed as The
6.11.67 Vicarage)

GV II

Vicarage house, now house. 1805 by Robert E Johnson of Barton, with early-
mid C19 drawing room. Alterations of 1857 by D W Aston of Hull; alterations
of c1950 and 1984. Red brick. Slate roof. L-shaped on plan, with 2-room
central entrance hall front, stairs to rear left and drawing room in wing to
rear right. 2 storeys, 3 bays; symmetrical. Steps to 6-beaded-panel door
and fanlight in C20 panelled reveal and wooden doorcase. 12-pane ground
floor flush sashes with channelled and keyed stucco cambered arches and
projecting cills. Similar first floor sashes with cills. Stepped and
cogged brick eaves cornice, painted. Brick coped and tumbled gables, roof
hipped to rear wing. End stacks. Interior: moulded cornices to entrance
hall and main rooms; rear drawing room has a screen with two fluted Ionic
columns and flanking pilasters supporting a plain entablature, and traces of
original trompe d'oeil painted panelling; beaded-panel window shutters and
doors in architraves throughout. C20 alterations have removed Aston's
extensive additions and returned house to mid C19 form. N Pevsner and
J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 179.

Listing NGR: TA0716821411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.