This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0315 / 52°1'53"N
Longitude: -0.995 / 0°59'42"W
OS Eastings: 469040
OS Northings: 237485
OS Grid: SP690374
Mapcode National: GBR 9XB.M7S
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.P6TH
Entry Name: Akeley Wood School
Listing Date: 21 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214716
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399621
Location: Akeley, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Akeley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 63 NE AKELEY AKELEY WOOD
2/23 Akeley Wood School
Former country house, now school. 1860's by G. Devey for Charles
Pilgrim. Extended 1911-12 by Sir Ernest George for Captain Robert K.
Price. Adapted for use as school 1946 by Lionel Brett. Plinth and
some ground floor walls of ironstone, half-timbered above with whitewashed
roughcast infill. Tiled roof, bargeboards with finials and carved
brackets to base. Ironstone chimney stacks with square shafts set
diagonally. Original L-plan Tudor "cottage" with main wing facing S.,
service wing and porch facing E. 1911 additions in similar style
comprise: block at S.E. corner with billiard room to ground floor and
projection for passage in angle with E. front; chauffeur's accommodation
at N. end of service wing; new dining room and service wing adjoining N.W.
corner of main block, and water tower in courtyard. Two storeys and
attics. Irregular facades with gabled projections and small gables over
first floor windows. Gable ends have elaborate timber patterning
remainder close studded. Some sections of first floor are jettied.
Mullion windows, some transomed, shallow oriels on carved brackets to
first floor, some canted bay windows to ground floor. E. front has
gabled porch with L-plan passage to front door: timber arcade with
segmental arches, four centred arch to porch has carved foliage in
spandrels and key block with initials 'AI'. S. and W. fronts originally
had lean-to verandahs. Interior: wooden ribs to ceilings, moulded
and carved doorcases, Gothick panelling in hall, staircase with square
balusters renewed 1912.
Listing NGR: SP6904037485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings