This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0293 / 52°1'45"N
Longitude: -0.8783 / 0°52'41"W
OS Eastings: 477052
OS Northings: 237356
OS Grid: SP770373
Mapcode National: GBR BYT.LRX
Mapcode Global: VHDT4.Q8J6
Entry Name: Beachampton Hall
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 22 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399771
Location: Beachampton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK19
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Beachampton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Beachampton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/01/2013
SP 73 NE
(Formerly listed as Hall Farmhouse)
Large house, on site of Medieval manor. Late C15, altered early C16. Oolitic
limestone, with plain clay tiled roofs between raised coped gables. Brick stacks. Plan:
North-south range containing reception rooms, with a cross-wing extending west at
the north end, and a disused cross-wing containing the great chamber extending east at
the southern end, in all forming a 'Z' plan. The great hall, probably late Medieval,
south of south wing demolished in C18, its remains incorporated in a garden building.
Two storeys throughout, with attics to south wing. Hollow chamfered stone mullion
windows with label heads to ground floor, the windows transomed to the south wing
and to the east gable of the north wing. Canted bay with mullioned and transomed
window to great chamber. Two early C19 timber windows on west elevation of
centre block. C19 door with timber canopy. C20 glazed porch in re-entrant angle of
Interior: The south wing containing the rebuilt early C17 chamber is
raised on an undercroft, and accessed by an extravagantly carved stair, largely removed in 1922. The panelling of chamber, described in early C19, is now missing but some standard C17 oak panelling remains. The chamber has a moulded stone fireplace, and evidence of an external perron stair on the north side. There are two similar fireplaces on first floor with a further one in attic. Many boldly moulded doorcases and panelled early C17 lead studded doors, and an earlier room encapsulated in the rebuild with heavily moulded ceiling.
The surviving house was probably built by the Piggot family,the great chamber rebuilt probably by Sir Thomas Piggot between 1603-11, possibly for the reception of Queen Anne of Denmark and her entourage in July 1603, when the gardens were also laid out. The house is remarkably unaltered in the C19 and C20, and, together with the summerhouse and the barn, the garden remains with the listed gate-piers, form a largely unaltered manorial group.
Listing NGR: SP7705237356
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings