This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9347 / 51°56'5"N
Longitude: -0.9757 / 0°58'32"W
OS Eastings: 470521
OS Northings: 226743
OS Grid: SP705267
Mapcode National: GBR BZV.L4V
Mapcode Global: VHDTH.1MKP
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399880
Location: Steeple Claydon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Steeple Claydon
Built-Up Area: Steeple Claydon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: The Claydons
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 NW STEEPLE CLAYDON QUEEN CATHERINE ROAD
4/116 Church of
Parish church. C14 chancel, nave altered C15 and heightened C16-17.
Restored 1842 and 1875 by Sir G.G. Scott and J. Oldrid Scott.
C19 transepts, N. aisle, S. porch and W. tower. Coursed rubble
stone with brick to transepts and E. wall of nave. Tiled roofs
coped gables. Tower of 3 stages in Decorated style with broach
spire and stair turret to N.E. S. wall of nave has 2 C15 paired
cusped lancets with flat hoodmoulds and clerestory of C16-C17
rectangular windows with paired arched lights. N. wall' of nave
has C19 clerestory of 2-light windows with ogee tracery, hidden by
steeply gabled roof of N. aisle, Similar windows to N. aisle.
Transepts have re-used Perpendicular 3-light windows with ogee
tracery and carved head label stops to N. and S. S. transept
has mid C18 memorial plaques set in W. and S. walls. Chancel has
Decorated 2-light windows, 2 to S., one to N, C19 vestry to N. in
angle with transept. Small door to S. dated 1631. Decorated E.
window of 3 lights has flowing tracery. Interior: C19 N. arcade
of nave has 3 bays of chamfered arches on octagonal piers with
moulded caps, C19 chancel arch on triple shafts. Aumbry, piscina
and sedile in form of window seat, all restored Q19, C19 roofs.
All Cl9 work in Decorated style with naturalistic carved foliage
caps. Fittings: C15 octagonal font with C17 cover; C15 pews,
restored; C17 pulpit, other fittings C19, Monument to Sir Harry
and Lady Eliza Verney with marble profile medallions dated 1839
RCHM II p. 272.
Listing NGR: SP7052126743
Other nearby listed buildings