This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4971 / 52°29'49"N
Longitude: -1.9518 / 1°57'6"W
OS Eastings: 403368
OS Northings: 288802
OS Grid: SP033888
Mapcode National: GBR 5M2.XQ
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.4H0K
Entry Name: Towpath Bridge at Soho Foundry (Approximately 160 Metres East of Rabone Lane) Birmingham Canal Birmingham Level
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219218
Location: Sandwell, B66
Electoral Ward/Division: Soho and Victoria
Built-Up Area: Smethwick
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Smethwick The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SANDWELL MB BIRMINGHAM CANAL
SP 08 NW
Birmingham Level, Smethwick
9/16 Towpath bridge at
Soho Foundry (approx 160m
30.3.87 east of Rabone Lane)
Bridge carrying north towpath of Birmingham Canal over disused branch.
Early to mid-C19. Cast iron. Brick abutments have chamfered sandstone
quoins. Single shallow segmental arch. Sides pierced to form lattice
pattern of saltire crosses. The northern half of the bridge is within the
Soho Foundry side: the boundary wall runs across the bridge parallel with
the main canal. This part of the Birmingham Canal was first opened in 1769
and straightened by Telford in 1827, when double towpaths were provided.
The Soho Foundry was opened by Boulton, Watt and Sons in 1796 to produce
castings for their steam engines.
Listing NGR: SP0288489008
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings