This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9366 / 51°56'11"N
Longitude: -0.9824 / 0°58'56"W
OS Eastings: 470052
OS Northings: 226945
OS Grid: SP700269
Mapcode National: GBR 9YH.JG1
Mapcode Global: VHDTG.XLH7
Entry Name: Library, Village Hall and Caretaker's Flat
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 13 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399973
Location: Steeple Claydon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Steeple Claydon
Built-Up Area: Steeple Claydon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: The Claydons
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 NW STEEPLE CLAYDON QUEEN CATHERINE ROAD
4/122 Library, Village Hall
and Caretaker's Flat
(formerly listed as School
25.9.51 (part of Public Library))
School, now library, built 1656, the gift of Sir Thomas Chaloner.
Extended to rear 1856 at expense of Lady Dunsany. School-master's
lodging, now caretaker's flat, added to left 1841. Village Hall
added to rear right-hand corner 1902, by Parker and Unwin for
Edmund Verney. Brick, tiled roofs. School: thin bricks in
English bond, plinth, band course over windows and former doorway,
moulded eaves. Old tile roof with C19 bargeboards to right gable.
Chimney stack to left has 3 square shafts set diagonally. One
storey. Front has 2 cross windows to left with gauged brick heads,
and keyblocks. Terracotta plaque inscribed "1656 Chaloner Public
Library 1902" between windows. C19 gabled porch to right with
painted C17 plaque commemorating founding of school re-set over
door. Right gable has similar window with 2-light mullioned
window over, and rendered square bellcote opening. 1841 Lodging
is gabled to road with square bay window to ground floor and paired
casement over. Village Hall in Arts and Crafts style has battered
brick buttresses and elaborately hipped roof swept down over lobby and
3-bay open verandah to front. 3-light wooden mullion windows, 2 to
clerestory, and 3 to ground floor with painted glass and benches
with heart motifs below. Lobby to right has similar 2-light windows.
Interior of hall has large inglenook fireplace with tiles,
painted panels and benches with backs of carved panelling dated
1663. Similar panels to front of stage. School has fragment of
C17 panelling. Cheque for £50 from Florence Nightingale set in
stone plaque in rear room.
RCHM II p. 273 Mon.5.
Listing NGR: SP7005226945
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings