This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2707 / 52°16'14"N
Longitude: 1.2933 / 1°17'35"E
OS Eastings: 624790
OS Northings: 268729
OS Grid: TM247687
Mapcode National: GBR VLP.PS9
Mapcode Global: VHL9X.C6K2
Entry Name: Tannington Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281349
Location: Tannington, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Tannington
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Tannington St Ethelbert
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TANNINGTON TANNINGTON GREEN
TM 26 NW
5/68 Tannington Hall
House. Late C16; rear additions of c,1950. Timber framed and plastered with
English-bond red brick parapet gable end to right, perhaps original.
Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attics. A single long range. 6 windows, C18
mullion and transom casements of 2, 3 and 4 lights; C20 square-leaded glass.
To right is an C18 doorway with moulded architrave and 6-panel raised and
fielded door; above is a 4-light oblong fanlight and cornice. Mid C20 French
windows to left. Right gable end has blocked original windows, with a
hoodmould over the attic opening; moulded brick finial at apex of gable. The
present windows are flush-frame sashes with glazing bars under flat lintols: 2
to the main floors and one at attic level. Against the rear wall are 3
massive stacks, each with the moulded bases of 2 octagonal shafts, the
remainder replaced by coupled square shafts of C19 date. Interior. Both the
parlour and parlour chamber have particularly fine late C16 ornamental plaster
ceilings in an almost perfect state of preservation. The parlour ceiling has
interlaced moulded ribs forming geometric patterns, with pendant bosses, fruit
and foliage and 4 square cartouches infilled with fruit and leaves; around the
wall is a moulded frieze with similar decoration. The ceiling in the chamber
is divided into 4 by cross-beams richly decorated with fruit and foliage; each
compartment has an identical pattern of interlaced ribs with bosses; motifs
include the Tudor rose, designs of flowers and acorn foliage. The frieze has
flowing arabesque work. The hall has a plaster ceiling with simply-moulded
cross-beams. Some of the framing is visible on the upper floor: chamfered
cross-beams to hall chamber, an original gable end window with ovolo mullions
and evidence for other windows. Several C16 fireplaces, the best on the upper
floor at the left end, with a moulded 4-centred arch. Between hall and
parlour is a wide dog-leg stair with solid treads. The attic stair
immediately above cuts through a C16 floor with substantial on-edge joists.
Most of the roof structure is concealed: there are clasped and butt purlins
with arched wind-braces. Remains of medieval moat.
Listing NGR: TM2479068729
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings