History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Lodge of Arboretum

A Grade II Listed Building in Arboretum, City of Derby

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9121 / 52°54'43"N

Longitude: -1.4722 / 1°28'19"W

OS Eastings: 435593

OS Northings: 335093

OS Grid: SK355350

Mapcode National: GBR PLK.DG

Mapcode Global: WHDH0.C26B

Entry Name: Entrance Lodge of Arboretum

Listing Date: 24 February 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215237

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400309

Location: Derby, DE23

County: City of Derby

Unitary Authority Ward: Arboretum

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Derby, Walbrook Epiphany St Augustine

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Derby

Listing Text

ARBORETUM SQUARE
1.
5170
Entrance Lodge of
Arboretum
SK 3535 6/10
II

2.
Circa 1850. Architect, Duesbury (who designed the Town Hall). The Arboretum,
which was given to the town by Joseph Strutt, was laid out by Loudon in 1840. The
original lodges, which were by E B Lamb, were in Elizabethan style (Pevsner). Built
of brick with stone dressings. Of 3 bays, the central slightly projecting and
having raised mnunental feature with coupled pilasters at aides of a semi-circular
headed niche containing a stone statue of Strutt and surmounted by a segmental
pediment with obelisk finials at centre and sides. A single-storeyed lodge at
either side, each with pediment enclosing scrolled escutcheon, pilasters at sides,
panelled frieze, cornice and parapet topped by ball-head and urn finial (1 missing);
semi-circular headed window at centre in rusticated surround with cornice; stone
plinth. Stone paved forecourt at rear enclosed by arcaded brick and stone wall
surmounted by balustrading.


Listing NGR: SK3559335093

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.