This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3088 / 52°18'31"N
Longitude: -2.1491 / 2°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 389928
OS Northings: 267866
OS Grid: SO899678
Mapcode National: GBR 1DW.9GF
Mapcode Global: VH928.P7PD
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 March 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400314
Location: Elmbridge, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9
Civil Parish: Elmbridge
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Elmbridge
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
ELMBRIDGE CP ELMBRIDGE
SO 86 NE
5/34 Church of St Mary
Former chapel, now parish church. Rebuilt 1872, embodying C12 fragments.
Ashlar, tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel, north aisle to both,
bellcote to west end of nave. Chancel/nave: four bays, three lancets, south
door in west bay with reset C12 door in gabled projection; three orders,
outer two enriched, engaged shafts to responds; west end: three stepped
lancets, double opening bellcote above with two bells; east end: three
trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. North aisle: four bays, 2:1:1:2
lancets, with stepped buttresses between, west end a single lancet, pair
to east. Interior: three-bay arcade with segmental arches on two C12 columns
with simple capitals, east respond also C12. Main vessel and aisle each have
a four-bay roof. Fittings: east end of aisle, C17 altar rail with pierced
splat balusters removed from Purshall Hall (qv) in the 1940s, with contemporary
communion table. Wall tablet on north wall of aisle to Edmund Purshall, died
1650, and others, topped by armorial cartouche: "Being the first that was
interred in the Church (at least for many Ages)". Elmbridge was a chapelry
of Dodderhill until 1877. (VCH 3, pp 63 & 67).
Listing NGR: SO8992867866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings