History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Top Lock, Spon Lane Locks, with Attached Footbridge Birmingham Canal Wolverhampton Level

A Grade II Listed Building in Greets Green and Lyng, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5067 / 52°30'24"N

Longitude: -1.9957 / 1°59'44"W

OS Eastings: 400390

OS Northings: 289869

OS Grid: SP003898

Mapcode National: GBR 2BZ.89

Mapcode Global: VH9YV.C8B5

Entry Name: Top Lock, Spon Lane Locks, with Attached Footbridge Birmingham Canal Wolverhampton Level

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215249

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219241

Location: Sandwell, B70

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Greets Green and Lyng

Built-Up Area: West Bromwich

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: West Bromwich Good Shepherd with St John

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
West Bromwich

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB BIRMINGHAM CANAL
SP 08 NW
Wolverhampton Level, W.Bromwich
9/37 Top Lock,
Spon Lane Locks, with
30.3.87 attached footbridge

GV II

One of flight of three locks on Wolverhampton Level of Birmingham Canal, with
attached lock bridge. Probably 1790, when Brindley's original flight of six
locks built in 1769 was reduced to the present three; some C20 repairs. Brick,
with sandstone kerbstones partly replaced by concrete. Cast-iron sluice gear.
Upper gate single, lower gate double. Across the lower entrance to the lock
chamber is a footbridge, of cast iron and having brick abutments with sandstone
dressings. The bridge was originally in two halves, with one cantilevered from
each bank, allowing a rope to pass through a central slot. The walkway is now
concreted and the cast-iron railings remain only on the downstream side. The
Old Main Line, on the Wolverhampton Level, was by-passed by Telford's New Main
Line on the Birmingham Level in 1829. (Paget-Tomlinson, E W. "The Complete
Book of Canal and River Navigations", 1978, p 950.


Listing NGR: SP0039089869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.