History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Office Row, West of East Gate at Soho Foundry

A Grade II Listed Building in Soho and Victoria, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4973 / 52°29'50"N

Longitude: -1.9481 / 1°56'53"W

OS Eastings: 403620

OS Northings: 288826

OS Grid: SP036888

Mapcode National: GBR 5N2.QN

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.5HZD

Entry Name: Office Row, West of East Gate at Soho Foundry

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1216064

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219287

Location: Sandwell, B66

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Soho and Victoria

Built-Up Area: Smethwick

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Smethwick The Resurrection

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sandwell

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB FOUNDRY LANE (off)
SP 08 NW
Smethwick
9/77 Office Row, west of
30.3.87 east gate at
Soho Foundry

GV II

Row of seven houses, now offices. Early to mid-C19. Buff-coloured brick
with slate roof. Two storeys. All openings have segmental heads. At the
left is a taller block of three bays under a hipped roof. The paired door-
ways are in the central bay. The other five former houses are each of two
bays. The right hand bay of each has a blind recess on the first floor and
a doorway below. The doorway of the right hand house is now blocked. Chimneys
to each side of taller block, and to right of third and fourth houses. Soho
Foundry is on the site of the foundry established in 1796 by Boulton, Watt
and Sons for the manufacture of steam engine parts. These houses stood out-
side the gates of the original foundry. The left hand house is said to have
been occupied for a few years by William Murdock (1754 - 1839), the company's
chief engine erector and a pioneer of gas lighting. (Gale, W K V, Soho Foundry,
1946).


Listing NGR: SP0361988826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.