This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9156 / 50°54'56"N
Longitude: -2.3962 / 2°23'46"W
OS Eastings: 372245
OS Northings: 112978
OS Grid: ST722129
Mapcode National: GBR 0X2.F0R
Mapcode Global: FRA 56WP.6BM
Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Last Amended: 20 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102572
Location: Lydlinch, North Dorset, Dorset, DT10
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Lydlinch
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Stock Gaylard
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
LYDLINCH STOCK GAYLARD
ST 71 SW
4/71 Church of St Barnabas
(formerly listed as Parish
Church at Stock Gaylard)
Former parish church. Entirely rebuilt in 1884 by W.J Fletcher. Original features
seem mostly to be C 15 and C 16. Coursed, squared rubble with ashlar dressings.
Stone slate, gable ended roof with stone copings and double bell-cot. Plan:
Chancel, South porch and North Vestry. A small church in the 'perpendicular' style.
Windows mainly of 2-lights under square heads. East window of 2 trefoiled lights with
panelled tracery under 2-centred head with a returned label; it appears to follow the
original (see engraving in Hutchins, J, vol.III opposite p 686) Vestry has trefoiled
windows. South porch has archway with chamfered 2-centred head. Barrel-vault roofs.
Stone slab altar, possibly reused table-tomb top on reset table tomb. Octagonal C15
stone font with quatrefoil panels. Some early glass. Recumbent C13 effigy in south
wall of nave set in cusped arched niche; figure of knight with legs crossed and feet
resting on lion, said to be of Sir Ingelramus de Walys. C18 and C19 wall tablets.
"RCHM, Dorset Vol III" p 138, no 3. Newman J and Pevsnez N. " The Buildings of
England Dorset" Penguin 1972 p 399. Hutchins J "The History and Antiquities of the
County of Dorset" thirded 1868. Reprint by E.P. 1973.
Listing NGR: ST7224512978
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings