This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4027 / 53°24'9"N
Longitude: -2.9861 / 2°59'9"W
OS Eastings: 334537
OS Northings: 389992
OS Grid: SJ345899
Mapcode National: GBR 74Q.27
Mapcode Global: WH877.3QBT
Entry Name: Pooley Gates
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219289
Location: Liverpool, L1
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Liverpool Our Lady and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/07/2014
SP 08 NW
(Formerly listed as Pooley Gates, Soho Foundry, Smethwick, FOUNDRY LANE (off), SANDWELL MB)
Gates and gateway, circa 1840/50s of cast iron.
History: The gates were made in Liverpool by Henry Pooley and Son to the designs of John Cunningham and installed at the Liverpool Sailors Home by 1852. The gates were removed from the Sailors Home following the Liverpool Blitz as part of restoration works, and the house itself was demolished during the 1970s.The gates were offered for sale in 1948 to W & T Avery which had merged with Henry Pooley in 1931. By 1951 the gates had been erected at Avery’s Soho Foundry in Smethwick, Sandwell. In 2011 consent was granted to move the gates back to Liverpool and they were subsequently installed in Paradise Street adjacent to the former site of the Sailor’s Home.
Description: Gates and gateway. Lower part in four sections, the two central ones opening as gates. Each has diagonal lattice infill cast to resemble rope, with a knot at each inter-section. Each has a central lozenge with a cast mermaid with two tails. Above is an elaborate superstructure, with a Liver bird above ropework draped with cloth, flanked by nautical symbols including oars, flags and bugles, ships' wheels and intersecting dolphins.
Listing NGR: SJ3453789992
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings