History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Paradise Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Worlingworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2718 / 52°16'18"N

Longitude: 1.2477 / 1°14'51"E

OS Eastings: 621678

OS Northings: 268710

OS Grid: TM216687

Mapcode National: GBR VLM.J8K

Mapcode Global: VHL9W.K5Z7

Entry Name: Paradise Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1216211

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281406

Location: Worlingworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Worlingworth

Built-Up Area: Worlingworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Worlingworth with Southolt

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bedfield

Listing Text

WORLINGWORTH SHOP STREET
Paradise Farmhouse
5/125
- II
Farmhouse. In 2 parts: rear wing c.1400 with one-bay C16 addition; early C19
front, extended in late C19, at right angles to the rear to form a T-shape
plan. Front block of red brick with glazed black pantiled roof. 2 storeys. 3
bays with a 4th bay added to the right. Pilaster strips to quoins. Early C19
work has flush-frame sashes with glazing bars under segmental arches; central
doorway with 6-panel door (upper 2 panels glazed), panelled reveals,
architrave with ropework fluting and a cornice. Later bay has narrower sash
windows. Rear wing is timber framed and plastered with glazed black pantiled
roof. 1½ storeys. Mainly C19 casement windows, with one gabled dormer facing
south. Internal stack. Lean-to on north side. Interior. Rear wing comprises
a 2-bay former open hall of raised-aisle form together with the solar bay
(into which the stack has been inserted) and a one-bay addition beyond. The
open truss has slightly jowled arcade-posts, chamfered on their inner faces;
there are heavy but not solid arched braces to the arcade plates and similar
braces to the tie beam, meeting at the centre. Side ties from each arcade-
post to the wallplate. The tie beam carried a king-post; this, and the ridge
piece to which it was braced, are now missing but the medieval rafters are
intact. The bridging beam carrying the arcade-posts was supported by
buttress-shafted wallposts with moulded caps: one survives in mutilated form.
Other work of c.1400 includes a moulded dais beam, remains of one hall window
and some studding visible mainly on the uppper floor. The hall windows are
unusually close to the upper end wall; this, combined with the absence of peg
holes for studding below the dais beam, suggests a possible internal jetty
over the dais. Evidence for 2 additional tie beams at the lower end of the
hall. Inserted floor has chamfered joists, morticed into original bridging
beam. In former outside wall of hall is a C16 window of 5 lights with cavetto
mullions and C17 diamond-leaded glass: this near-complete early glass is a
rare survival. Newel stair by stack. Front block has early C19 well stair
with stick balusters, ramped and wreathed handrail and carved tread-ends.


Listing NGR: TM2167868710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.