This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4101 / 50°24'36"N
Longitude: -3.8094 / 3°48'33"W
OS Eastings: 271530
OS Northings: 58258
OS Grid: SX715582
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PR3J
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XY.V2H
Entry Name: Lower Lodge
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101381
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Lodge at entrance to disused drive to Black Hall (qv). Circa 1840-5 with
later C19 addition and alterations. Plastered stone rubble. Low pitched
hipped rag slate roof, 3-sided hipped roof at front; with deep eaves. Large
rendered axial stack at the centre.
Plan: The original lodge was of single room plan with a fireplace at the back
and with direct entry at the front which is canted and has a verandah; on the
rear left hand corner a stair turret and on the rear right hand corner a
porch. There is a 2 storey 1-room plan wing at the back containing the kitchen
with a back-to-back fireplace; this wing seems to be a slightly later C19
addition, but must be earlier than the present verandah which is either late
C19 or early C20. The porch on the right hand side has been heightened to 2
storeys probably later in the C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 3-sided canted front with original 8-pane casements on
each side except first floor centre which is blind recessed panel, and the
ground floor centre which is the doorway with a C19 glazed and flush-panelled
door. Continuous around the ground floor of the front is a late c19 or early
C10 verandah with a slate hipped roof on thin chamfered wooden posts with
brackets; the verandah has a small open gable over the central doorway with
king post and struts. The ends of the verandah abut a single storey lean-to
stair turret on the left side and a porch on the right side, the latter has
an added second storey. The later C19 addition at the back is treated
similarly, the hipped roof continues with its deep eaves but the windows are
later C19 16-pane sashes on each floor of the rear elevation.
Interior: simple C19 chimneypieces to both ground floor fireplaces and winder
stair in stair turret.
The lodge is not depicted on the 1840 estate map.
Listing NGR: SX7153058258
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings