This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8722 / 50°52'20"N
Longitude: -0.7392 / 0°44'21"W
OS Eastings: 488808
OS Northings: 108839
OS Grid: SU888088
Mapcode National: GBR DGF.CWN
Mapcode Global: FRA 96BS.PV2
Entry Name: Goodwood House
Listing Date: 5 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 301457
Location: Westhampnett, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Westhampnett
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Boxgrove
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
WESTHAMPNETT GOODWOOD PARK
SU 80 NE
13/98 Goodwood House
The original house on this site was an Elizabethian building which was pur-
chased by the first Duke of Richmond, son of Charles II, in 1720 and used
by him as a hunting lodge. To this his son, the second Duke, added a small
red brick rectangular building about 1723. This is still standing to the
west of the main part of the present house and is concealed by the latter
except from the west side. The Elizabethan house was pulled down and re-
built by James Wyatt for the third Duke of Richmond. The dates given both
by Dallaway's History of West Sussex and by the Dictionary of Architecture
for this are 1800-1806, but the interior of the Library at least is in
Wyatt's earlier manner, and it is more likely that his work on the house
at Goodwood dates from at least 1787, when he built the kennels in the Park.
Both interior and exterior were unfinished at the third Duke's death in 1806.
The house was probably intended to be the shape of an octagonal courtyard,
but only 3 sides of the octagon were built with circular towers at the ends
and at the junction of the sides. Two storeys, (three storeys in towers).
Squared knapped flints. Slate roof. (The towers have copper domed roofs.)
Modillion cornice and parapet. The centre side has nine windows and a two
storeyed portico in the centre (six Doric columns below with triglyph frieze
and six Ionic columns above supporting a balustrade). Ground floor windows
in stuccoed arcading. East side has five windows. The three central window
bays of this side project with balustraded parapet over. The outer ground
floor windows are round-headed. The centre window has a pediment over sup-
ported on consoles. The west side is similar with the exception that the
projecting centre portion has a pediment over instead of a balustrade. The
towers have four windows each. All glazing bars intact throughout.
Listing NGR: SU8880808839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings