This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8413 / 50°50'28"N
Longitude: -0.5148 / 0°30'53"W
OS Eastings: 504664
OS Northings: 105690
OS Grid: TQ046056
Mapcode National: GBR GKS.2NQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 96TW.18L
Entry Name: St John's Priory
Listing Date: 12 October 1954
Last Amended: 20 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 298030
Location: Poling, Arun, West Sussex, BN18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Poling
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Poling
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 00 NW POLING POLING STREET
St John's Priory
(formerly listed as
of St John's Priory)
At one time called Fairplace Farmhouse. A Preceptory or Commandery of the Knights
Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem was founded here in C12. In 1541 it was
suppressed and the buildings granted to Arundel College, which was itself suppressed
in 1546. The surviving buildings consist of the C13 Chapel adapted into a dwelling in
the C16 and altered about 1830. It is built of stone rubble, flints and red brick
with some timber-framing exposed at the back. Four stone buttresses to the front.
Horsham slab roof. Casement windows in deep reveals. Pointed stone doorway with
archivolt and dripstone. 2 storeys, 4 windows. The east wall has flanking buttresses
and a blocked pointed window. To the west is an extension of 2 window bays in red
brick dating from about 1830.
Listing NGR: TQ0465905693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings