This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.845 / 50°50'41"N
Longitude: 0.0915 / 0°5'29"E
OS Eastings: 547345
OS Northings: 107132
OS Grid: TQ473071
Mapcode National: GBR LRP.ZYC
Mapcode Global: FRA C62V.X1T
Entry Name: Firle Place
Listing Date: 17 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217315
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292893
Location: Firle, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Firle
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: West Firle St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4707 33/483 17.3.52.
The exterior of this mansion dates almost wholly from the C18. But the western
half was built in the early C16, probably by Sir John Gage who was Constable
of the Tower in Henry VIII's reign (d 1557). Part may even date drom the
late C15. Its exterior was then georgianised by the first Viscount Gage between
1744 and 1754. The eastern half was added between 1754 and 1783 by the second
Viscount Gage, son of General Gage who was unsuccessful in the War of American
Independence. Two storeys and attic. Ashlar. Glazing bars intact.
The south front has 16 windows. At its west end is the only portion of the
building where C16 work is visible externally. This has 2 window bays with
a gable over and 2 of the windows are the original casement windows of 3 lights
each. Tiled roof. To the east of this are 4 recessed window bays with cornice.
Beyond this is a projecting portion of higher elevation containing 3 windows
which light the staircase hall, behind which is the Tudor Hall. Heavy moulded
wooden eaves cornice and Horsham slab roof to this portion. The remainder
of the front is the C18 addition. First 4 recessed window bays, then a balancing
projection of 2 windows and then a recessed portion with one window, one
hipped dormer and modillion cornice, which is the return section of the east
front. Horsham slab roof.
The western half of the north front forms a half-H. The centre portion has
6 windows, a parapet, and windows in stone architrave surrounds. The projecting
wings have a curved bay of 3 windows each on the ground floor with Gothic glazing
and a balustrade above, a Venetian window on the first floor eaves cornice
and one hipped dormer each. On their inner face they have one window and 2
hipped dormers each. The eastern half is recessed compared with with projecting
wings of the west half but not as much as the recessed centre of the latter.
Seven windows. Four hipped dormers. Eaves cornice. Horsham slab roof.
The easternmost window bay is recessed, of higher elevation than the remainder,
with modillions to the cornice and forms the return section of the east front.
The east or entrance front has 5 windows. The centre projects with a rusticated
carriage archway on ground floor which leads into the courtyard within the
C18 addition. Over this archway is a Venetian window on the first floor with
a pediment above flanked by round dormer windows. The end window bays project
also. Wooden modillion eaves cornice. Four hipped dormers.
The Tudor Hall contains C18 decoration. The small Dining-room has a C15 fireplace
and in the Staircase Hall is a blocked C16 doorway. The Staircase is early
C18. The C18 portion of the house contains a gilded Drawing-room and Library
adjoining, and occupying the whole of the first floor of the east front, a
To the west of the main building is a long T-wing containing the Laundry and
other domestic offices. This is probably C16, altered in the C18 and C19.
It has 2 storeys, 12 windows and 3 gables on its south front.
Listing NGR: TQ4736507151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings