This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5088 / 51°30'31"N
Longitude: -0.1267 / 0°7'36"W
OS Eastings: 530102
OS Northings: 180541
OS Grid: TQ301805
Mapcode National: GBR HF.Q9
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.RBDP
Entry Name: Church of St Martin in the Fields
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Last Amended: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217661
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207262
Location: Westminster, London, WC2N
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3080 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER TRAFALGAR SQUARE, WC2
Church of St Martin-in-
24.2.58 the Fields
Parish Church. 1722-26 by James Gibbs. Portland stone, leaded roof. Highly
influential design combining (incongruously) Vitruvian temple with steeple
and very restrained, minor use of Baroque detail (in tactfully judged political
contrast to St Mary-le-Strand). Giant Corinthian hexastyle, 2 column deep
portico, on podium of steps, carrying the pediment-gable end continuation of
the roof line. The west front proper has one extra bay each side (of portico)
and staged tower and steeple rise above it behind the portico. These end bays
are flanked by giant Corinthian pilasters and their returns are emphasised as
the tower bay by giant Corinthian columns in antis; 5 bays of 2 tiers of
semicircular arched "Gibbs surround" windows then express the body of the
church, terminating in a similarly emphasised bay to that of tower. Large
Venetian east window. Fine interior, evolving from Wren's St Clement Danes and
St James's Piccadilly, with a giant order as used by Hawksmoor carrying arches
and the segmental tunnel vault, the inevitable galleries butting into column
shafts. The chancel is narrower than the nave with noteworthy and theatrical
feature of boxes to sides (that to north the Royal Pew) set on splay as a
transition between nave and chancel. Fine plasterwork by Artari and Bagutti,
fittings and momuments, lowered box-pews, etc. It was Nash who isolated the
church as part of his West Strand Improvements, integrating it with the
composition of Trafalgar Square.
Survey of London; Vol XX
Georgian London; John Summerson.
London Vol I: N Pevsner.
Listing NGR: TQ3010280538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings