This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5079 / 51°30'28"N
Longitude: -0.1292 / 0°7'45"W
OS Eastings: 529928
OS Northings: 180438
OS Grid: TQ299804
Mapcode National: GBR HF.4M
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QC1C
Entry Name: Canada House (Including the Former Royal College of Physicians)
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207264
Location: Westminster, London, SW1Y
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 SE
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
TRAFALGAR SQUARE, WC2
Canada House (including the former Royal College of Physicians)
Institutional building.1824-27 by Sir Robert Smirke as premises for the Royal College of Physicians and the Union Club, altered on conversion as Canada House by Septimus Warwick. Bath stone, slate and lead roofs. Unified composition occupying the west side of the square with porticoes to north (Pall Mall East) to the square and to the south (Cockspur Street), in dignified and scholarly Greek Revival characteristic of Smirke.
Two storeys, basement and wings and attic over centre as built with additional (and top heavy) attics provided over centre for Canada House. Fifteen windows wide to Trafalgar Square with former central entrance now window, in tetrastyle portico in antis composed of giant engaged Ionic columns contained by advanced giant pilastered bays. Recessed glazing bar sash windows. The wings either side of centre-piece articulated in shallow projection and recession, the advanced bays with same giant pilaster order as that flanking centrepiece and the central recessed portion of each wing with three close-set windows as tripartite group. Main entablature over first floor and attic storey with cornice and balustraded parapet. Heightened attics, over centre. The return to Pall Mall East retains original hexastyle Ionic portico (the entrance to the former Royal College of Physicians); to Cockspur Street a giant Ionic tetrastyle portico rebuilt by Septimus Warwick as entrance to Canada House.
The interior of the former Royal College of Physicians is least altered with fine entrance hall with Greek Doric column screen to staircase, of Club design (et Athenaeum), main reception room, library and lecture room, all with restrained Grecian decoration, etc. The interior of Canada House more altered, but retaining Smirke's design in the High Commissioner's Room and in modified form the principal staircase etc.
The siting of this institutional building on the west side of Trafalgar Square was programmed in Nash's Metropolitan Improvements of 1824-26.
Listing NGR: TQ2992880438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings