History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

10, 12 and 14, Lowther Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8933 / 54°53'35"N

Longitude: -2.9329 / 2°55'58"W

OS Eastings: 340263

OS Northings: 555796

OS Grid: NY402557

Mapcode National: GBR 7CYV.VP

Mapcode Global: WH802.X8KK

Entry Name: 10, 12 and 14, Lowther Street

Listing Date: 22 March 1974

Last Amended: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386792

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY4055NW LOWTHER STREET
671-1/12/204 (East side)
22/03/74 Nos.10, 12 AND 14
(Formerly Listed as:
LOWTHER STREET
(East side)
Nos.10, 12, 14 AND 22)

GV II

Spirit vaults with shop and office extension, now 2 offices
with saleroom behind. 1868 and 1881 for Hope and Bendal, wine
& spirit merchants, both by Daniel Birkett of Carlisle.
Quarry-faced calciferous sandstone, on chamfered ashlar
plinth, with bracketed cornice and balustraded parapet.
Graduated greenslate roof, moulded ashlar ridge and end
chimney stacks.
Spirit vaults are to the right, 2 storeys, 3 bays; the left
extension is of 2-and-a-half storeys, 5 bays, very carefully
matched to look of one build with a continuous cornice and
parapet. Spirit vaults have right panelled doors, up
semicircular steps, and fanlight in granite colonnette
surround under shaped hoodmould. Central oriel window above
has shouldered-arched lights with octofoils above, flanked by
sash windows in chamfered surrounds. Left extension (the
straight joint is hidden by a downpipe) has off-centre
panelled double doors in elliptical arch; 2 canted bays to the
left retain original glazing bars and right cusped paired sash
windows; windows and door under a continuous shaped hoodmould.
Left panelled door and boarded overlight up steps in surround
to match the door in the spirit vaults. Upper floor casement
windows with original glazing bars, that on right paired, in
stone architraves under cornices. Half-dormers above are also
casements under shaped pediments.
INTERIOR behind central door has stained glass screen, other
details hidden by modern fascias. Extensive vaulted wine
cellars.
Original plans for both parts of the building are in Cumbria
County Record Office, Ca/E4/950 (approved 8 December 1868) and
1415 (approved 17 June 1881). Hope and Bendal became part of
the State Management Scheme in 1916 and was sold off in 1972.


Listing NGR: NY4026355796

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.