History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Overton Hall and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashover, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1563 / 53°9'22"N

Longitude: -1.4833 / 1°28'59"W

OS Eastings: 434651

OS Northings: 362256

OS Grid: SK346622

Mapcode National: GBR 6B4.3TX

Mapcode Global: WHDFN.5XYP

Entry Name: Overton Hall and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393408

Location: Ashover, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S45

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Ashover

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ashover All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Ashover

Listing Text

ASHOVER
Overton Hall and attached
SK3462
1264-0/12/5 outbuildings
31/01/67
GV II
Nursing home, formerly small country house. Mid-to-late C17,
with extensive remodelling with additions in 1702, 1788 and
1900, and with farther C20 alterations when the building
assumed its present use. Ashlar and coursed squared gritstone
with ashlar dressings, quoins, ashlar ridge stacks with
moulded caps, a moulded eaves cornice below a shallow parapet,
stone slate and Welsh slate roof coverings. C17 double-pile
plan, with massive central stack, with extensions to each of
the ranges at different times creating a shallow open-ended
court at the north-west end. Stepped 2-storey range added at
north-east end of south-west front, and an advanced parallel
range added to the south-east corner, linking the main range
with a separate and earlier outbuilding to the south-east.
South-west elevation of main range of 4 storeys and 5 bays,
originally with doorway to centre, this now blocked and
replaced by a late C19 double doorway to the south-east.
Blocked doorway has advanced jambs and massive lintel with
integral false keyblock. Flanking the doorway were 2-light
chamfered mullioned windows, one of which survives, the
example to its left being reset. To the south-east of the
double doorway, a replacement 2-light window. A plainly
chamfered band course defines the ground floor. The first and
second floors are defined by broader bands set above the heads
of former mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights,
2 of which survive, the remainder having lost mullions and
transoms, and now with a variety of C20 frames. The windows
above the original doorway are single lights with eared
surrounds, a transom surviving at first-floor level, but the
third floor, never with a transom, still with leaded lights.
South-east elevation of 3 storeys, with a bolection-moulded
surround and a segmental pediment to the doorway. C19 two-pane
sashes have been inserted into the surrounds of former C17
mullioned and transomed windows at first and second floor
levels. The third floor retains 2-light chamfered mullioned
windows. The surrounds to windows in the central bay are
advanced, moulded and shouldered. North-east elevation of 3
storeys, with 2 added bays at the north-west end. Earlier
5-bay part with one first floor, and all second and third
floor, windows retaining C17 mullions and transoms, many with
leaded lights. 2 ground-floor openings have C20 glazing bar
sashes, with one window and a doorway having been blocked.
Added 2 bays with 2-pane sashes; set in flush chamfered
surrounds. Added bays to rear range partially obscure C17
six-light mullioned and transomed stair windows with leaded
lights, and a further third floor mullioned and transomed
window. Single 2-light chamfered mullioned window to third
floor. Later C20 flat-roofed link encloses ground floor. Rear
elevation of extension to front range has stacked glazing bar
sashes 4 x 3 panes, in flush stone frames. Front elevation has
2-light chamfered mullioned windows matching those of the
earlier part. Stepped range to south-west comprising a taller
5-bay part, possibly a remodelled earlier range which extended
into the lower 2-bay part, to which a third bay has been
added. This range has flush mullioned and transomed
ground-floor windows, and above, glazing bar sashes in late
C19 surrounds. The gable has a pair of datestones, one
inscribed 'H W E 1702', the other 'W J de B + J 1900'.
L-shaped range to south-east, with a 3-bay hipped roof part,
with upper floor with C19 glazing bar sashes. Taller attached
crosswing of three builds, incorporating massive earlier
ashlar to the ground floor, on the south-east side wall,
together with a tall segmentally arched double doorway with
voussoirs and an advanced keyblock above a quoined surround.
To the north-east, a blocked four-centre arched doorway, to
the south-west, a square window with hollow chamfered
surround. Gable with 4 late C19 windows, and two datestones,
one reading '1888
W J de BJ', the other '1702 'W H E'.
INTERIOR much altered, but with a fine C17 turned baluster
staircase, some C18 two-panelled doors, and at least one C18
panelled first floor bedroom.


Listing NGR: SK3465162256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.