This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1794 / 53°10'45"N
Longitude: -1.4953 / 1°29'43"W
OS Eastings: 433828
OS Northings: 364820
OS Grid: SK338648
Mapcode National: GBR 69R.LSN
Mapcode Global: WHDFN.0B7Y
Entry Name: Hardwick Farmhouse (East)
Listing Date: 30 August 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 393455
Location: Ashover, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S45
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Ashover
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashover All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK36SW HARDWICK LANE
1264-0/7/46 (South side (off))
Hardwick Farmhouse (east)
House. Mid C17, and dated 1685, with alterations and additions
in C18 and C20. Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar
dressings, quoins, plain gables, and two ashlar ridge stacks,
one to the centre of the house, the other now truncated at the
gable of the rear wing. Roofs of stone slate and plain tile.
L-shaped house, comprising main range and rear crosswing. Main
range has a former lobby-entrance plan, with the doorway
against the stack. South elevation 2 storeys and attics and 3
bays, with a central doorway within a chamfered quoined
surround beneath a massive lintel. The lintel bears the
inscription 'S O A 1685', referring to Samuel and Anne Outram.
The doorway has a C20 painted 15-pane door, and is flanked by
stacked 3-light chamfer mullioned windows. The ground floor
openings are all set beneath a continuous drip mould with
labels. The ground floor windows are deeper than the first
floor openings, and have leaded lights of C20 date. Upper
floor windows have undivided glazing, each central light a C20
timber side-hung casement. Above the doorway, a single-light
C17 window opening with fixed glazing. Rear elevation with
single-light opening to first floor. North gable with stacked
2-light flush-mullioned windows to ground floor and attic
floors. Rear wing with 2-light chamfered mullioned windows to
east and west elevations, all now with C20 timber casements
and fixed lights. One window to west elevation is at
half-landing level to light the stair. Doorway and window to
north-west corner, both with C20 joinery. North gable with
plain window openings and C20 joinery and heavily weathered
masonry to area below stack. Low range to rear of rear wing,
with flat coping and moulded kneeler to gable. 2-light
chamfered mullioned window with a casement light and a fixed
light, both with horizontal glazing bars to ground floor.
Single-light window above.
INTERIOR: much C20 alteration, but some exposed oak spine
beams and joists. Two ground-floor hearths, one with a fine
bolection-moulded surround, the other with massive jambs and
stone mantel shelf above hearth lintel. Adjacent to the
bolection-moulded hearth is a section of C17 square panelling
in oak, with an arcaded frieze panel.
Listing NGR: SK3382864820
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings