History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn at Frith Hall Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brampton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2347 / 53°14'4"N

Longitude: -1.5052 / 1°30'18"W

OS Eastings: 433126

OS Northings: 370968

OS Grid: SK331709

Mapcode National: GBR 694.B7S

Mapcode Global: WHCD3.VYFL

Entry Name: Barn at Frith Hall Farm

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Last Amended: 30 August 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218534

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393509

Location: Brampton, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S42

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Brampton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Old Brampton Saints Peter and Paul

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Old Brampton

Listing Text

BRAMPTON
SK37SW FRITHHALL LANE
1264-0/2/98 (West side)
31/01/67 Barn at Frith Hall Farm
(Formerly Listed as:
OLD BRAMPTON
Barn at Frith Hall Farm)
GV II*
Farm outbuilding. Late C16, with C19 additions and C20
alterations. Coursed rubble Coal Measures Sandstone beneath a
C20 corrugated sheeting roof. 6-bay cruck-framed range with a
single C19 addition at the south-east end. North-east
elevation of a single storey, with off-centre doorway beneath
a crude segmental arched head. 2-bay offshut to north-west,
and a 2-tier series of 5 vents to the south, beyond which are
2 further segmental arch headed doorways, all with plain
planked doors. North-west gable with cruck trusses fully
exposed, and infilled with modern sheeting. Raised walkway to
north-east front, constructed of massive horizontal stone
posts. Rear elevation with main doorway opposite that to the
front elevation, with 2 other doorways with plain heads. 4
taking-in doors at eaves level.
INTERIOR: 7 cruck trusses supporting a single purlin roof rise
from padstones which are visible in the interior walling. All
trusses appear to have had tie and collar beams. 3 trusses
have yokes, 2 are cross-lapped, at the apex and 2 trusses
support the ridge directly. All trusses retain at least one
windbrace on either side, except for one central truss, where
a brace survives on one side only. The exposed
truss at the north-west end, and an exposed section of
wallplate within the offshut, suggest that timber walling
preceded the stonework. Two extant studs confirm this. The
majority of rafters are C20 softwood. Dendrochronological
dating by the university of Nottingham in 1992 produced a
likely date of construction of 1602.


Listing NGR: SK3312670968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.