This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5 / 51°29'59"N
Longitude: -0.1376 / 0°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 529367
OS Northings: 179537
OS Grid: TQ293795
Mapcode National: GBR FJ.8G
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.KKLG
Entry Name: Wellington Barracks Main Centre Block with East and West Wings
Listing Date: 9 January 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 208701
Location: Westminster, London, SW1E
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Peter Eaton Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2979 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER BIRDCAGE WALK, SW1
9.1.70 Wellington Barracks: Main centre
block with east and west wings
Barracks. 1833-59, by Sir Frederick Smith of the Royal Engineers in
consultation with Philip Hardwick; entirely rebuilt behind facades,
1980-83. Stucco, slate roofs. Functional military Grecian. Long central
range with link screens to wings, set back behind parade ground. 3
storeys and dormered attics. Central range 27 windows wide with centre 3
bays slightly advanced; the wings 3 windows wide. Central tetrastyle
Greek Doric portico with flanking prostyle porticoes; similar porticoes to
wings. Recessed glazing bar sashes, with architraves on upper floors.
Rusticated ground floor. Upper floors articulated by giant Doric
pilasters carrying entablature with blocking course, the 3 bay centrepiece
pedimented (with clock) and pediments over the wings. Greek Doric column screens
linkk wings to main range.
Listing NGR: TQ2936779537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings