This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3992 / 50°23'56"N
Longitude: -3.6664 / 3°39'58"W
OS Eastings: 281662
OS Northings: 56802
OS Grid: SX816568
Mapcode National: GBR QM.WCQN
Mapcode Global: FRA 376Z.X1P
Entry Name: Nos. 1 and 2 Frogmore Farm
Listing Date: 6 April 1989
Last Amended: 4 February 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100939
Location: Ashprington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Ashprington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ashprington St David
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1309/6/30 NOS. 1 AND 2 FROGMORE FARM
(Formerly listed as:
Farmhouse, divided into two separate dwellings in the late C20. Early C17 with later remodelling in C19 and the late C20.
MATERIALS: Local stone rubble. Grouted scantle slate hipped roof with a gable to the side (NE) elevation and rear (NW) elevation with skylight inserted to the rear. To the NE elevation is a projecting stone stack with oven at the base and tall red brick shaft. There is a central axial stack and the stone stack to the rear wing has been removed.
PLAN: Probably originally a three-room and cross passage plan facing east with the lower end, unheated, to the left (SW). The hall heated from an axial stack backing onto the passage, the inner room with an end stack. The wing at the rear (NW) may be original or an C18 addition when the house was possibly first remodelled. The major remodelling seems to have taken place in the early to mid-C19 when the house was turned back-to-front so that it faced west, an entrance stair hall was built behind the hall in the angle with the rear (then front) wing; the lower side partition of the through passage was removed and the front and rear doorways of the passage blocked; the lower end was partitioned to form a dairy at the lower south end and in the higher north part a pantry was formed at the rear (west) and a second staircase at the front (east) with an axial passage between giving access to the dairy. A new doorway was inserted directly into the hall with access through an outshut on the front (east), now the rear facing the farmyard. In the late C20 the plan was returned to its original orientation and divided into two separate dwellings: the higher end (north-east) forms No. 1 and the lower end (south-west) forms No. 2. The stack to the rear wing has been removed.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys. Asymmetrical five window range facing south-east. To the first floor are five three- and two-light casements with glazing bars and a twelve-pane sash window to right (No. 1). The ground floor of No. 1 has a glazed garden door to right and a three-light casement to its left, both beneath red brick segmented arches. Across the centre of the east front is a mid-C19 single storey outshut with a slate lean-to roof which has been remodelled to provide porches to the two dwellings. To the ground floor of No. 2 the outshut to the angle has been removed and the C19 plank door and unglazed window replaced with a six-over-six sash window and a two-light casement and a further six-over-six sash window to the immediate left of the porch. The fenestration to the rear consists of C20 sash windows, some in original openings but others in new openings. The chimney stack to the rear has been removed. The C19 panelled door to the angle of the right hand side of the wing has been replaced with a window. The corner of the left hand end of the rear wing is chamfered. In the angle on the right hand side of the wing there is a C19 panelled door with a C20 canopy over. The left hand corner is chamfered and the left hand side of the wing has a C20 twelve-pane sash in a gable with shaped and pierced bargeboards. The lower right hand corner of the building is also chamfered.
INTERIOR: Interior not fully inspected; it is likely to retain a large hall fireplace in the axial stack with its lintel supported on a moulded corbel at one end, chamfered cross-beams and C19 joinery including a mid-C19 open-well staircase with stick balusters and a moulded handrail ramped up to turned newels. The roof structure was replaced in the C19.
HISTORY: Frogmore Farmhouse was erected in the early C17 and remodelled on several occasions, in the C18, in the early to mid-C19, and again in the late C20 when it was divided into two separate dwellings. Frogmore Farmhouse is depicted on the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1888 and 1906 respectively and comparison of these maps with the current OS map illustrate that the footprint of the building is largely unaltered. The farm buildings were converted to residential use in 1990.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Nos. 1 and 2 Frogmore Farm are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* A substantial C17 cross passage farmhouse with C18, C19 and C20 alterations
* The farmhouse preserves a significant proportion of its C17 historic fabric
* It retains much of its C19 joinery
* Forms an interesting group with the early to mid-C19 agricultural buildings which are listed at Grade II.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings